Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-04-2018, 10:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210
New Member, New Project - Maristar 210

Hello all!

First an introduction to my boat! Its a 1990 Maristar 210. I stumbled across this boat by complete happen-stance and ended up picking up the boat and trailer (both with title) for $500. I have been perusing this forum and what most members are calling a 'project' is what I hope this boat looks like when I'm finished . This boat literally needs everything. The engine, a 351, does turn over, but I am assuming that it needs a rebuild. The transmission, lets just say that its rusted to the point that the linkage is frozen and not really distinguishable from the casing. Its bad.

The interior is complete, but extremely rough. The hull seems to not have any damage to speak of exterior, interior floor, etc. The whole boat is complete, its just in need of a top to bottom going over. My goals are this - to have a methodical, systematic approach and hopefully have a good running MC ski boat in about three years!

About myself - I'm a farmer now. I was in the Navy (Seabee) for about 8.5 years but spent over 4 years turning wrenches for a SEAL team in Virginia Beach on their High Speed Assault Crafts. Engines, electrical, trailers, bodywork (not gel coat); we did it all ourselves so boat work is not new to me, but there are some things that are very new to me on this boat. I am currently the proud owner of a family hand-me-down boat. A mid-70's 21' Caravelle tri-hull with an i/o 351. It is a great boat but I've always wanted to upgrade to a legit ski boat. My family has always slalom skied (have skied 5 at one time when I was a young teenager) but we also dabble with wake boarding and even a knee board from time to time.

Along with my intro, I am posting this also to see if there are any glaring red flags that I am missing as to why I should NOT take this project on. Yes, I know that it is going to cost more $ than I am budgeting and its going to be a TON of work. As I said, I am looking at a three year build in my spare time, and doing all the work myself, think $8-9k should cover it. I'm not looking for a factory restoration, just a nice, functional MC. What is TeamTalks thoughts on this?

Thanks all, and this really seems like a knowledgeable, helpful, friendly forum!

Working on pics..... darn photobucket.....

Last edited by BacNBlak; 09-04-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
If you want functional...buy the standard tuneup parts and fire that bad girl up! that's where i would start at least. I'm sure with your background you'll start the oil change then see a loose screw, and end up at polishing the gel coat.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 09-05-2018, 04:30 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
If you want functional...buy the standard tuneup parts and fire that bad girl up! that's where i would start at least. I'm sure with your background you'll start the oil change then see a loose screw, and end up at polishing the gel coat.
It needs new manifolds and risers right off the bat as well as what you mentioned.

A tad more background on the boat - original owners evidently lost interest in this boat and it sat parked for YEARS. They decided they wanted it gone off the property so they contacted the guy I bought it from and told him if he could get it gone ASAP, he could have it. So he picked it up and has done nothing with it at all aside from some trailer hub work.

So when he told me about the boat he said it needed manifolds and I wondered how he knew that having never attempted to run it. When I went and looked at it, the risers were basically exploded apart to where you can see the inside of the exhaust port itself. I hope this isnít indicative of the condition of the engine but weíll see.....
Old 09-07-2018, 10:17 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft VRS 230
I think your budget is low, parts are very expensive. Not sure what trabsmission it has but i would reccomend an exchange especially if it is a hurth/zf 63 iv. Lots of special tools and equipment required and likely will need bearings and shafts from corrosion. Those need machine work... Engine will be between 1-3k if you do if yourself but machine work adds up there also. Figure 1k for the trailer, then what about upholstery and the interior? That will add up fast depending on where you stop. Also that looks like bottom paint, if doing it yourself, i would reccomend either getting a media blaster or repainting. If you plan on stripping to refinish the gel, a blaster is the way to go. You will save lots of time on stripping and sanding!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ02 View Post
I think your budget is low, parts are very expensive. Not sure what trabsmission it has but i would reccomend an exchange especially if it is a hurth/zf 63 iv. Lots of special tools and equipment required and likely will need bearings and shafts from corrosion. Those need machine work... Engine will be between 1-3k if you do if yourself but machine work adds up there also. Figure 1k for the trailer, then what about upholstery and the interior? That will add up fast depending on where you stop. Also that looks like bottom paint, if doing it yourself, i would reccomend either getting a media blaster or repainting. If you plan on stripping to refinish the gel, a blaster is the way to go. You will save lots of time on stripping and sanding!
Not sure I agree. If this is an Indmar (marinized Ford) 351Windsor with Holley carb: parts are readily available and reasonably priced. Very few, if any 'special tools' are needed. Also, it probably has Borg-Warner Velvet drive transmission, pretty bomb proof and a DIY rebuild isn't out of the realm of most home mechanics. Are there pictures posted?

Last edited by d2jp; 09-07-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=38235

It sounds like you have good mechanical ability. If you can do most of the work yourself (and want to, and have time to) I think you could restore it to "good condition" for your budget. The interior might even clean up to something you can live with for a few years if you get someone who knows how to steam clean correctly to clean them up.

The only thing i see major is the center windshield being that far off worries me that something could be very wrong......
Old 09-07-2018, 08:31 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvdh View Post

The only thing i see major is the center windshield being that far off worries me that something could be very wrong......
The windshield is something that I actually didnít notice at all until I posted this pic on the forum. I should be picking it up in the next few days (awaiting some hub parts so I can drag it home) and I will investigate further.

As for the transmission, Iíll get a pic and post when I pick boat up. It is an Indmar 351 and rebuilding myself (aside from machine work) is something Iím very comfortable doing.

Yes, itís been bottom painted. Iíll have to decide if I want to try and really clean it up and get fresh gel coat or clean and put on fresh bottom paint. To be honest, Iím leaning toward fresh bottom pint mainly because the river we ski in is fairly brown, and can stain. It might save me frustration of cleaning it up reeeeaaaal nice only to brown it right up.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
If you keep your expectations reasonable and do everything possible yourself I think your budget sounds fine. Heck, I got an old sewing machine and redid my interior myself and it came out beyond decent. The windshield is a concern if the hull is also that crooked. Your exploded manifold/risers... sounds like it was not winterized and water left in manifolds to crack them apart, block might have the same fate. I assume with your transmission that rusted and the bottom paint that is was a saltwater boat. I have always liked those maristars (aside from the funky top mount ski platform). Any more shots of the seal team boat? that thing looks bad ***.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210, 454/425BBC
Looks like a good restoration project. Have the same 90 Maristar however powered by a 454BBC. I went pretty much what you are going through now and happy to give you some guidance. Private Message me for a phone number and I will walk you through what your in for specifically exterior, carpet, upholstery, windshield and dash. My M210 is just about complete with the exception of some minor interior details. I have posted a few pics in my album to give you some idea of where it can go.
Go get'em
Steve
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X45 496 crusader
Don’t be afraid, it is amazing what you can do with an old Mastercraft and end up with a masterpiece.

Tags
pva, sprayer