• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cc4me
    TT Enthusiast
    • Aug 2014

Wetsound Rev 8's vs JL audio tower speakers

Hey guys, I bought a 2014 MC X10 with 2 Wetsounds Rev 8's installed on the tower. They sound very "High". I also have the factory JL audio cans. The JL's are smaller and not as highly regarded but sound more "full". Is it normal for the Rev 8's to sound "high"? I know I can adjust, but was looking for input since the difference between the two sets of speakers at the same current setting is so obvious. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • Cain0725
    MC Fanatic
    • Feb 2014

make sure your amp is not in high pass mode… but generally Jl audio is great stuff for near listening. Wetsounds will work along ways away! I had JL and switched to REV 8 and i love them.

Comment

• MC25
      MC Master Poster
      • Nov 2007

the amp needs to be in high pass. otherwise youll blow the woofer. the horn is what makes the rev 8s seem high, just the general nature of the HLCD. the Rev 10s are much more of a full sounding speaker, at short and long throws due to the added size of the woofer.

the JLs are great for surfing. not so much at 75 ft
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• MLA
        MC Devotee
        • May 2012

Absolutely run the amp on hi-pass. Being an HLCD, the Rev-8 is going to sound "bright" when next to a traditional coaxial like the JL 7.7. Its got a huge, powerful compression driver, so its going to dominate. Are these 4 pods all driven off the same amp? Are the wired in parallel on the right and left? I would consider selling the 7.7's and Rev-8 and get a single pair of Rev-10. Best of both worlds.

Comment

• MrDearybury
          MC Fanatic
          • Mar 2015

I think I know who this is!!!!

Comment

• David Analog
            MC Fanatic
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Cc4me View Post
            Hey guys, I bought a 2014 MC X10 with 2 Wetsounds Rev 8's installed on the tower. They sound very "High". I also have the factory JL audio cans. The JL's are smaller and not as highly regarded but sound more "full". Is it normal for the Rev 8's to sound "high"? I know I can adjust, but was looking for input since the difference between the two sets of speakers at the same current setting is so obvious. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
            The JL Audio 770s are an excellent sound quality speaker at surf range or in close proximity at rest. They are exceptionally linear, meaning smooth over a broad range, good midbass extension, and 'flat' (treats all frequencies with equal amplitude).
            However, if you want more authority at wake range you have to give up a portion of those attributes in exchange for greater output, even if the response has some peaks. There are no exceptions to this trade-off. Of all the HLCDs, the Wetsounds REVs will give you the best SQ.
            I would recommend setting a priority and making a decision.
            For example, If you need the extra output and projection then convert all tower speakers to the REVs. Then power them correctly. If you want to tame the treble for near field listening then a very modest adjustment on an EQ will moderate the treble. For articulate projection at wake range you'll need the treble back, hence the reverse EQ adjustment.

Comment

• Cc4me
              TT Enthusiast
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by David Analog View Post
              The JL Audio 770s are an excellent sound quality speaker at surf range or in close proximity at rest. They are exceptionally linear, meaning smooth over a broad range, good midbass extension, and 'flat' (treats all frequencies with equal amplitude).
              However, if you want more authority at wake range you have to give up a portion of those attributes in exchange for greater output, even if the response has some peaks. There are no exceptions to this trade-off. Of all the HLCDs, the Wetsounds REVs will give you the best SQ.
              I would recommend setting a priority and making a decision.
              For example, If you need the extra output and projection then convert all tower speakers to the REVs. Then power them correctly. If you want to tame the treble for near field listening then a very modest adjustment on an EQ will moderate the treble. For articulate projection at wake range you'll need the treble back, hence the reverse EQ adjustment.
              Originally posted by MLA View Post
              Absolutely run the amp on hi-pass. Being an HLCD, the Rev-8 is going to sound "bright" when next to a traditional coaxial like the JL 7.7. Its got a huge, powerful compression driver, so its going to dominate. Are these 4 pods all driven off the same amp? Are the wired in parallel on the right and left? I would consider selling the 7.7's and Rev-8 and get a single pair of Rev-10. Best of both worlds.
              Originally posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
              the amp needs to be in high pass. otherwise youll blow the woofer. the horn is what makes the rev 8s seem high, just the general nature of the HLCD. the Rev 10s are much more of a full sounding speaker, at short and long throws due to the added size of the woofer.

the JLs are great for surfing. not so much at 75 ft

I only have one set installed. I noticed the "high" or "bright" sound immediately from the Rev 8's. I adjusted the treble using the HU, but that didn't create the sound stage I was looking for. I then tried the JL 7.7's. I was surprised by the difference. I was only testing at a short distance not at the end of a line, but much more balanced sound. The high pass filter is already turned on the amp. You guys are right, I'll have to decide on my priority (short or long range) and make the decision from there.

The Rev 10's are huge! I can't lower the tower with the Rev 8's installed without scuffing my seats. I can't imagine how much damage the Rev 10's would do. I also can not swivel the board racks in with a board in the top rack with the Rev8's installed.

Thank you for the input.
              Last edited by Cc4me; 05-18-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Cc4me
                TT Enthusiast
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by MrDearybury View Post
                I think I know who this is!!!!
                Garfield?

Comment

• David Analog
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Cc4me View Post
                  I only have one set installed. I noticed the "high" or "bright" sound immediately from the Rev 8's. I adjusted the treble using the HU, but that didn't create the sound stage I was looking for. I then tried the JL 7.7's. I was surprised by the difference. I was only testing at a short distance not at the end of a line, but much more balanced sound. The high pass filter is already turned on the amp. You guys are right, I'll have to decide on my priority (short or long range) and make the decision from there.

The Rev 10's are huge! I can't lower the tower with the Rev 8's installed without scuffing my seats. I can't imagine how much damage the Rev 10's would do. I also can not swivel the board racks in with a board in the top rack with the Rev8's installed.

Thank you for the input.
                  The treble tone control on the HU is very broad and very gradual. It might be hinged at 1 kHz and turnover (more or less flatten out) at 4 kHz with a range extending to the top of the audible limits. It's not the frequency-band-specific control that you may need. This is where a 4-band Wetsounds EQ comes in. Btw, the EQ has completely discrete EQs for the tower and in-boat zones so a tower adjustment won't influence the in-boat speakers.

Comment

Working...
                  X