Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 AM
Diesel's Avatar
Diesel Diesel is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Looks great. What are the specs on the batteries?
Group 31 AGMs from Sams Club. I could not pass up the price and so far they have been solid.
__________________
05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-28-2021, 11:00 AM
eecyclone eecyclone is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Boat: 2018 XT22
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Getting close to the end on this one. After much tuning, I've got the system sounding really good with the TWK88 and the additional power. I've determined my murphy screen source signal is noisy. Not sure if it is unique to mine or just they system itself. I've minimized it as much as I can and just going to run it this summer.

The two IB IDQ10s that replaced the Klipsch 10s are slamming with 585 watts each from the SDX6. I was totally surprised, and they are far from broken in. I expect they will get better. Unfortunately, I won't get the 12" IDMAX in the helm before I get it on the water this year. Maybe by mid-summer, or as good as the 10s sound, I may just wait until next winter.

One of the first things I removed is the 100amp solenoid. The main power and ground for the murphy screen comes from house battery and is constant. I now believe MC did this to remove noise and keep your phone connected when the boat is shut down. So they had to put the solenoid in to fully shut down the system when in storage.

So it's a catch 22 - leave the solenoid and risk draining your battery if you don't turn off the master switch every night, or take out the solenoid and risk running the battery down during longer storage periods.

To solve this, I've decide to put a 30amp relay in line with the 12v+ source that feeds the murphy screen and klipsch DSP. I plan on using the activation circuit from the original solenoid so it is controlled by the main power switch. This will ensure the murphy and DSP are shut down while the main switch is off and when I am not using the boat over extended periods of time. I really don't see a need to switch the main power feed to the amps like MC did originally, but this should eliminate that small draw.
I have not had any issues with battery drain after removing the solenoid in my XT22. It seems like the screen will auto-shutdown after the key has been off for 20-30 minutes which seems to remove even the small power draw. I don't see a drawback for removing the solenoid.

I suppose for months long (over the winter) storage, battery drain might still be an issue but most owners probably use a battery maintainer or remove batteries for that long of a duration.
__________________
'18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
(Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
'16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications
www.chesnuttech.com
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Diesel's Avatar
Diesel Diesel is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
I have not had any issues with battery drain after removing the solenoid in my XT22. It seems like the screen will auto-shutdown after the key has been off for 20-30 minutes which seems to remove even the small power draw. I don't see a drawback for removing the solenoid.

I suppose for months long (over the winter) storage, battery drain might still be an issue but most owners probably use a battery maintainer or remove batteries for that long of a duration.
Oh good to know and thanks. I have yet to measure the draw, but plan on it next time I am at the lake. Since it shuts down after 20-30min, this should save me from having to install the relay.
__________________
05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-02-2021, 11:00 AM
cal2vin's Avatar
cal2vin cal2vin is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 2021 Mastercraft X24 6.2L Ilmor
Location: Western KY
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Getting close to the end on this one. After much tuning, I've got the system sounding really good with the TWK88 and the additional power. I've determined my murphy screen source signal is noisy. Not sure if it is unique to mine or just they system itself. I've minimized it as much as I can and just going to run it this summer.

The two IB IDQ10s that replaced the Klipsch 10s are slamming with 585 watts each from the SDX6. I was totally surprised, and they are far from broken in. I expect they will get better. Unfortunately, I won't get the 12" IDMAX in the helm before I get it on the water this year. Maybe by mid-summer, or as good as the 10s sound, I may just wait until next winter.

One of the first things I removed is the 100amp solenoid. The main power and ground for the murphy screen comes from house battery and is constant. I now believe MC did this to remove noise and keep your phone connected when the boat is shut down. So they had to put the solenoid in to fully shut down the system when in storage.

So it's a catch 22 - leave the solenoid and risk draining your battery if you don't turn off the master switch every night, or take out the solenoid and risk running the battery down during longer storage periods.

To solve this, I've decide to put a 30amp relay in line with the 12v+ source that feeds the murphy screen and klipsch DSP. I plan on using the activation circuit from the original solenoid so it is controlled by the main power switch. This will ensure the murphy and DSP are shut down while the main switch is off and when I am not using the boat over extended periods of time. I really don't see a need to switch the main power feed to the amps like MC did originally, but this should eliminate that small draw.

I did exactly what youíre saying with the the relay in place of the solenoid. I have the amps direct to battery. Then all the other stuff that was on the solenoid is through this 60 amp relay. Seems to work perfect. I get zero noise at all, first day with it on the water yesterday. Iím contemplating a twk88 but wonder if that will introduce the noise. Really the main thing I want from the twk88 is the volume knob for master and sub control.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-03-2021, 11:15 AM
Diesel's Avatar
Diesel Diesel is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,961
That looks really good and thanks for sharing! I mounted the DRC-205 just below the screen on the right for adjusting the levels. I do find myself just tapping the bar on the MC screen most frequently to adjust the volume and zone levels.
__________________
05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-03-2021, 11:44 AM
MC25's Avatar
MC25 MC25 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: 2019 XT22
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Posts: 18,006
The noise I’m getting and has been from even bone stock is at low volume, it’s like it doesn’t even play all of the music. It’s hard to describe.
__________________
-Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Diesel's Avatar
Diesel Diesel is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
The noise Iím getting and has been from even bone stock is at low volume, itís like it doesnít even play all of the music. Itís hard to describe.
Yes! This is it exactly. As soon as you press play on a track it starts up. Press pause and it is gone - both bluetooth and USB. It's very noticeable when transitioning from songs in a play list. I've tried every configuration and no doubt the extra power makes it more noticeable over stock.

I have tried everything to get it to go away. I believe it is the original source signal or Klipsch DSP because it goes away when I swap in the exile media center. I will just live with it for this summer.
__________________
05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-03-2021, 12:52 PM
Upnorth07's Avatar
Upnorth07 Upnorth07 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2020 XT22
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 945
Holy moly you guys - very impressive!
__________________
Former: 2007 X15
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-04-2021, 08:12 AM
cal2vin's Avatar
cal2vin cal2vin is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 2021 Mastercraft X24 6.2L Ilmor
Location: Western KY
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
That looks really good and thanks for sharing! I mounted the DRC-205 just below the screen on the right for adjusting the levels. I do find myself just tapping the bar on the MC screen most frequently to adjust the volume and zone levels.

Thanks. On your rca inputs to the twk-88 since there are 10 plugs between left and right for 5 zones did you use Y adapters to combine the mono signals? I made my own mini din to rca cables so Iíll probably just make more and connect left and right channels together to have a single rca plug for the mono signals. Curious of other options tho.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Diesel's Avatar
Diesel Diesel is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal2vin View Post
Thanks. On your rca inputs to the twk-88 since there are 10 plugs between left and right for 5 zones did you use Y adapters to combine the mono signals? I made my own mini din to rca cables so Iíll probably just make more and connect left and right channels together to have a single rca plug for the mono signals. Curious of other options tho.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So for inputs I have:
Helm - 1&2
Bow - 3&4
Cockpit - 5&6
Tower - 7 just the left output from the Klipsch DSP
Sub - 8 just the left output from the Klipsch DSP

Given the level adjustments in the TWK-88 and headroom on the amp gains I did not feel the need to use a y adapter to get the additional input boost on channels 7&8.
__________________
05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.


2020