Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-03-2021, 05:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 PS 205-285HO
Might be a stupid question, but have you reached out to Indmar to see if they have cam specs somewhere?
Engine Nut hasn't posted on TT in a couple years, but if anyone would know it might be him.
Somewhere in the dark ages, he posted cam/piston specs for 351HO and he wasn't even around during the Indmar 351HO days.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-10
No I haven’t reached out to indmar yet, wanted to pull as much info here before I tried.

I do believe this motor has an RV cam in it, waiting to hear back from the guy I bought it from, he did mention that prior to me buying it. I appreciate everyone’s help thus far.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
I reached out to Engine Nut last fall and I believe I had asked about the cam question and he didn't have the specs. I recall at the very least, he confirmed that I wouldn't be able to find the same one based on the markings.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskr View Post
I assume Slalomjunkie's crate from Summit was automotive, so that camshaft might be more than adequate. For what it's worth, I looked into getting an ATK remanufactured engine from Summit and the guy there said I should swap over my old camshaft.

I assumed the marine version of the camshaft had more to do with the torque profile. From my googling things, I found comments that marine camshafts are basically RV camshafts.
I ordered this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HME-DMA1-GTP
Old 05-03-2021, 06:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
Ah, you did get a marine engine. Nice. I was looking at short blocks to save a few bucks and I don't believe they had separate marine versions for those. My heads didn't have that many hours on them, so I kept my old.

I believe what you got there is probably better / more heavy-duty than the original setup. I see the double roller timing chain, for example. I'd bet the piston and rings and some of the other parts are better than OEM too.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskr View Post
Ah, you did get a marine engine. Nice. I was looking at short blocks to save a few bucks and I don't believe they had separate marine versions for those. My heads didn't have that many hours on them, so I kept my old.

I believe what you got there is probably better / more heavy-duty than the original setup. I see the double roller timing chain, for example. I'd bet the piston and rings and some of the other parts are better than OEM too.
Yep, she is running stronger than ever, and I just ordered a new throttle handle. BTW, the MV2 and MV3 replacement is CH2200P, also a great price @SkiDim.

I think in the off season we will pull the transmission out and rebuild it.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Lots of pics please

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2021, 11:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Something else, DD 2004 red/white/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully_6 View Post
Not sure if you’re here to help or be a smart ***? It’s easy to find the specs of a crate motor. Not so easy finding the specs of a 2001 Indmar 350 and what camshaft was used so I was hoping that someone here would know or be of help.

Anyway, my reasoning for installing a 20 year old camshaft into a nearly new block is simple and stated in the thread. I have found many more people to say that the cam shaft needs to be marine specific, so that no water can ingest into the motor due to the cam. Since this is an automotive vortec crate motor, it has an automotive camshaft in it. Therefor, swapping the new cam out and putting the old one in made more sense to me than taking a chance, if you have more valuable info for me let me know
Not a smart***, but have stayed in a, HolidayInn Express.
Page: 4
https://cdn.bakesonline.com/media/re...epairSpecs.pdf
.274 in/.283 ex They don't list, lobe separation, which makes a difference, on low-end torque. Probably, a close angle(most Detroit truck engines, it's safe and produces more low end torque. ) So, really it's about was it a truck crate engine or car? (cars tend to have a slightly wider angle, for slightly bigger HP numbers.)

Just for grins, https://www.hotrod.com/articles/cams...ted-explained/

Look at the torque graph. Look at the gains, between 25-4000 rpm/

Hope it works out well.

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Last edited by etduc; 05-11-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:29 AM
TT Regular

Figure I would throw an update in, I am still at waiting on some parts to come in for the motor, transmission, and a few misc things.
In the mean time I have been basically gutting the boat. I’ve removed all carpet, all interior pieces have also been removed and I am in the process of getting quotes from upholsterers.

I’ve removed all ballasts and hoses except for my ski locker, that one will come out today.
Next step is to remove most of the wiring that is basically half *** laid out in my boat and in the bilge and re route with new connections and zero splices so it will be much easier to trouble shoot if something does happen. I really want to re wire all of my switches so that may be what gets done.
Although it will take some time I am excited to be moving along some.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:37 AM
TT Regular

I am trying to upload pics but keep getting an error, I apologize for that!