Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 09:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Achilles sg124
As far as the bell housing for older Indmars they are fine. It was the POS damper plate that was blowing them up. I have an 05 and you can see in the pic it only has four pot rivets holding it together. The new plates have close to 20 and the spring are also encapsulated too. I measured the the bell housing with a micrometer and it checked out ok. If you buy an older boat with an Indmar Around those years though I would not wait for the plate to fail I would just change it preemptively.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Achilles sg124
Damper plate
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2020, 11:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Sorry man but my wave looks better😂. Can easily recover from that distance too. Your also filming from the backseat so it gives the illusion of a taller wave. Im running 3500 pounds and zero passengers in that video filmed from the drivers seat too. If you did not have a good wave from your 205v its only because you did not have enough weight and the correct slapper placed in the right spot. Saying the 205v is only good for a 20-30 second wave just is not true.
Wrong, that was not filmed from the back seat, it was filmed by a passenger sitting behind the driver inside the cockpit, her elbows were resting on the sun deck. If you watch the video from the beginning, up to about 30secs in where she zooms in, you can see the sun deck in the frame. At the 2min mark where she recovers, you can see the back seat in the very bottom of the frame. Based on your video, which appears to have been shot by the driver, Id suspect that our camera was only 1-2 closer to the rider than yours was. As I mentioned above, you can see the girl that filmed my video zoomed in, making my daughter look closer than she was. She recovered from 7-8 beyond the reach of the rope.

Here is a video filmed from a GoPro on the tower (not the best position for sure). Our season is over for this year, but next season, well have GoPro mounting locations on the stern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5knASPZApg

This is of my buddy who is 65 260lbs. We were behind the X1 last year and with probably 2600lbs of ballast, plus 3-4 passengers, and he could not get off the rope. Maybe another 400 lbs of ballast would make all the difference in the world, but I doubt it. With as much weight as I had in that boat, I was always nervous about bringing water over the bow (and did several times), and when I stopped, I brought lots of water in through the stern engine vents (I went through several blower motors over the years I owned it). We got a beautiful looking wave that looked very similar to yours, but it had a very small pocket.

We are only just learning to surf, and where the X1 was demanding for us to keep the rope slack, the X25 makes us look better than we are.

Im glad that youre happy with your wave, but weve ridden the X1 and the X25 back to back and for us there was no comparison, the X25 wave outclassed the X1 in every measurable way. I am willing to amend my earlier statement to: You might be able to get a wave out of the 205v hull, but it will take a lot of weight (more than the hull is rated to support) and trial & error with the suck gate to get it there. We were never completely successful at it.

Again, Im glad you like your wave, and dont see a need clutter this thread further by getting into a pissing match over whose is better. You are clearly getting a better wave than I ever saw out of that hull, and I tried four 4 years to dial it in. Everyone Ive had behind both boats preferred he X25 hands down, so we are very happy with our wave too.

Sky
Old 09-21-2020, 12:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Dude View Post
Thanks all! In looking I might eliminate the X2 unless someone can tell me that the ski wake can be made comparable to the X1 with trim tabs or bow weight. The lack of tracking fins may be a deal breaker, seems weird not to have fins on a inboard...

So are most of the boats mentioned here on the same hull? MS 210, X1, x2, X9,X14, just different lengths and beam?
It depends on the year, the 205V, X1 and some years of the X2 are the same hull. I believe, but am not sure that the X9, X14 and MS 210 are different from each other, but Im confident that they are different from the 205V series.

The picklefork X2 (different hull from the 205v/X1/X2s) is reputably a pretty good all around hull that does most things well. I have not ridden behind one, so take anything I say here with a grain. You may be able to find one in your rough price range this off-season.

Sky
Old 09-21-2020, 07:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Thanks all! In looking I might eliminate the X2 unless someone can tell me that the ski wake can be made comparable to the X1 with trim tabs or bow weight. The lack of tracking fins may be a deal breaker, seems weird not to have fins on a inboard...

So are most of the boats mentioned here on the same hull? MS 210, X1, x2, X9,X14, just different lengths and beam?
At 15-off 32 mph the 205V has a pretty significant bump. The Maristar 210/X-10 of the late 90s/early 2000s had less of a bump in my experience.

205v hulls (in addition to being called 205v) were called X-Star in 99-2002, X2 in 2003-2005, and X1 for 2006-2011. X9/Prostar 209 is a completely different hull, and the X14/Prostar 214 is a completely different hull as well.

I say stick to finding a 2001 Sunsetter VLX/2002-2004 Sunscape LSV. There really isn't any other V-drive of that era that slaloms as well.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
With a budget of 35K, you might find an X15/ 215 out there. First year for that boat was 2006. A year ago you would have been real close, the prices have definitely climbed since then. I imagine they will drop over the winter.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
With a budget of 35K, you might find an X15/ 215 out there. First year for that boat was 2006. A year ago you would have been real close, the prices have definitely climbed since then. I imagine they will drop over the winter.
^^^This.

I owned a 2007 X15 for 5 summers and it was fantastic for everything you mentioned wanting to do. LOT'S of interior room and storage, mine had the factory center tab which helped with slalom wake and surf wake, and had factory ballast and surfed well with a stick-on surf wedge.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
another 205V owner that is happy with the versatility for skiing, wakeboarding and surfing. We are running everything stock ballast wise and borrowed a stick on surf wedge from a friend with a Moomba to test it out. My son surfs behind our X2 with me sitting on the rear deck for additional ballast just fine, the wedge surfed about the same without me sitting back there and with me back there we never could get the wave shape clean. Both my son and the MB owner agreed that our surf wake was better than his MB.

My wife is a non-aggressive skier, my daughter skies and wakeboards, my son wake boards and surfs and the grandkids ride inflatable rockets which will graduate into a tube and other skiing types of things once they get a bit older.

This could possibly be the last boat for us with our age and it should last many more years for fun with the family. It's an '04 that we have had for 11+ years.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
We have an 05 X2 (the 205V hull.) I replaced the rear hard tank ballast with 750s on each side and added an Integrated Bow Sac. I also added a wake plate that we run at about 50%. We can surf all day. My one son did a 360 this summer. No wake shaper. These pics are a couple of years old but all I could find at the moment. (Boys are 150-170 lbs now.)
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2020, 10:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:

MS 210 is the same hull as the X-10. that would be my choice (some bias, maybe). It was MC's 21' crossover boat from I think 02-05. Surf wave is not huge, but very easy to ride. Good ski wake, and very forgiving wakeboard wake. Should be able to find an early X-10 in your budget.