Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-16-2020, 08:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
- Klipsch test drives their first marine equipment on backs of MC and their customers
- Expense exceeds marine capability
- Missed zone control
- Missed sufficient power to tower speakers and subs
- Insufficient volume control to speed/RPM's.
- Overly complicated integrated system hinders upgrading
- Bugs, software glitches, intermittent bluetooth, buggy remotes
- Volume control via touch screen and singular button vs. dials
- Potential parasitic battery draw

Not intentionally trying to be a jerk here, just repeating multiple experiences documented on TT and by my own hours aboard with this system and prior JL/Fusion in MC's. Some of these have been partially addressed, but again are from outspoken consumer input.

FWIW, as a child of the 70's, I did and still do enjoy my Klipsch Heresy's, among other semi outdated home audio gear.

Nailed it Moose

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2020!!!!!!!!

2019 XT22-Wetsounds galore
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-16-2020, 10:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Volume button on x24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Nailed it Moose

Wasn't trying to start a huge discussion since there are already several Klipsch related threads. I was more or less challenging someone - GTSUM2 - who does not appear to even own a boat to back up their unsolicited assessment of the Klipsch system.

I am by no means a Klipsch homer. I've accused of being a JL Audio homer for sure, but I bought my 2020 XT22 with very low expectations about the Klipsch system and after 135 engine hours plus many more floating, I am pretty happy with the system. It's not perfect and definitely has a mind of its own sometimes with the volume slider but for this 56 year old who has a house full of NAD, Outlaw Audio and Definitive Tech audio gear, I am way happier than I thought I'd be. And maybe that's the key - expectations. And getting a system in its third year of production...

I spend a lot of time on a Malibu M240 and a Nauty G23. Those owners keep the volume maxed out all the time. If there is an auto volume adjustment, they don't use it. If there is zone volume control, they don't use it. On multiple occasions, I've had other people in our crowd come on my boat and comment on how nice it is not to be assaulted by the music like on ________'s boat.

Maybe I'm too idealistic but I do wish the Klipsch folks were more interested in our feedback. My general impression is that they met the requirements given to them by MasterCraft and think the folks on this forum are just a bunch of nit-picky whiners.

Last edited by MasterCraft Ranger; 09-16-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Ď20 X22 6.2L GDI, '15 X10 6.0L

Last edited by moosehead; 09-16-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft x25 6.0 Ilmor gen 2 surf
In my 5 days with the boat I mimick everything being said here. Iíve seen so many complaints. How has klipsch not addressed this. A lot of it could be solved with software updates. They probably donít get any more money to work on that tho. They are riding on Mastercrafts reputation here. Some reasonably thought out volume control could change the game. But as it stands itís one of those deal with it until I can bypass it all together things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 XT22
Not to defend Klipsch as I think they have plenty of responsibility in the 2018+ boat stereo issues but I believe Mastercraft is responsible for the programming of volume control including the auto volume implementation.

I think the Klipsch speakers are pretty good, but the Klipsch labeled ASA electronics amps donít quite have enough oomph to get the job done. Itís too bad because the stereo system could be great with a few changes (which plenty have of people have done, check the link in my signature)

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications
Old 09-21-2020, 01:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft x25 6.0 Ilmor gen 2 surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
Not to defend Klipsch as I think they have plenty of responsibility in the 2018+ boat stereo issues but I believe Mastercraft is responsible for the programming of volume control including the auto volume implementation.

I think the Klipsch speakers are pretty good, but the Klipsch labeled ASA electronics amps donít quite have enough oomph to get the job done. Itís too bad because the stereo system could be great with a few changes (which plenty have of people have done, check the link in my signature)
Agree on the speakers being good. Iím actually very pleased with sound quality. Could use a bit more volume on the towers but I plan to re amp everything so that will solve that. The thing that canít be fixed is the rediculous control method with the 5 individual zones. And theyíre mapping of the sub volume curve is terrible. One notch of sub is extremely loud for background low level music. Also seems like the eq doesnít even work when I turn down bass. May end up bypassing and putting in a head unit. Then I have to switch out the transom and passenger remotes that I paid out the *** for from factory. Always something.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal2vin View Post
Agree on the speakers being good. I’m actually very pleased with sound quality. Could use a bit more volume on the towers but I plan to re amp everything so that will solve that. The thing that can’t be fixed is the rediculous control method with the 5 individual zones. And they’re mapping of the sub volume curve is terrible. One notch of sub is extremely loud for background low level music. Also seems like the eq doesn’t even work when I turn down bass. May end up bypassing and putting in a head unit. Then I have to switch out the transom and passenger remotes that I paid out the *** for from factory. Always something.
My biggest frustration is with Mastercraft's volume programming. The progression/mapping of volume control just isn't right. I shouldn't need to adjust all 6 volume sliders when going from riding to chilling to cruising, etc. Even 4 years in the system still needs some work.

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications
Old 09-22-2020, 12:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT22 and 1985 SS (Sold - 2016 X2, 2008 X2, 2003 197 TT, 1993 205)
For whats it's worth, I had the same frustration as the OP with the volume button when I made the switch from my '16-'18. I quickly quit using it and used the touch screen slider control - and I dont try to slide my finger up or down, just touch at the level i want - i've grown to like that even better than a volume knob

2016 X2 - Sold
2008 X2 - Sold
2003 197 TT - Sold
1993 205 - Sold

Tags
volume, volume button