Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-08-2020, 06:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-Star
02 X-Star Gauge Replacement Question

Hey guys!!

New Member here! Long time lurker - First time poster.

I've got an 02 X-Star and the gauges have been intermittently working since I bought it 5 years ago. There was an awesome thread on here about replacing all the gauges and MDC with analog gauges by Faria. I'm about to pull the trigger on the project, but had a question before I reach the point of no return...
My boat has the large Tach, Speedo and Single Line Perfect Pass gauges. If I replace them with an analog set, does the new Speedo work with current wiring?
The guy who posted the walkthrough on how to do it (amazing write up, by the way), didnt use his new Speedo, since he just had the 2 large gauge openings and used the PP instead.
My question is, can I use the supplied Speedo in tandem with my PP? Does my current set up read speed from the MDC or the water pipes?
I want to get set up with new gauges so I know what's going on with my engine, but dont want to replace everything only to have a gaping hole if the new speedometer isnt compatible.
Make sense?

Thanks all!!
Old 04-09-2020, 01:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Get the Faria kit with GPS speedometer and you wouldn't need to worry about that. Cost difference is about $40 I think. Otherwise, you have to check to see if your boat came with pitot tubes and that at least one of them can be run up to the gauges.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:51 PM
TT Newbie

Awesome! Thanks Tsumi!
Any idea on the part number, or if that comes as part of a 6 gauge kit?
If not, no worries. I can do a bit of Googling and see what pops up.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5
When ordering new speedo's, make sure you get the inboard set. I got a great deal on ones that go up to 60 and it's difficult for my wife to hold / see 33 mph. We don't have perfect pass so it may not be an issue for you, but it was one thing I didn't think about when I ordered.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:41 PM
MC Devotee

https://www.boatersland.com/faria-ch...eedometer.html

I got that set, along with a couple of extra gauges (clock and hour meter). Prices have gone up a fair bit since I bought them last year. Pictures are here: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com//sh...&postcount=183

Moukie recently did a conversion on a 2002 Maristar. Your MMDC version is likely the same, which is different from the 2001 and older MMDC. Check his threads and posts for challenges he ran into.

The GPS speedometer is much easier to read than the analog pitot version, especially at the speeds wakeboats typically operate at. Speeds 5-20 mph are practically unreadable on the pitot version.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:51 PM
TT Newbie

tjrowbot - Thanks for the recommendation!

Tsumi - That's my exact dashboard setup. Damn, that looks clean! That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Thanks for posting!

I'll check out Moukie's write up and take notes.

Thanks all!
Old 04-09-2020, 04:53 PM
MC Devotee

2002 was a crossover year, so it seems some boats got the older MMDC and some boats got the newer version. Check your MMDC plugs to figure out which one you have.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:22 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
2002 was a crossover year, so it seems some boats got the older MMDC and some boats got the newer version. Check your MMDC plugs to figure out which one you have.
Gotcha! What are the tell tale signs of one vs the other?
Old 04-09-2020, 07:09 PM
MC Devotee

The large plug on the older MMDC has orange, purple, black, tan, pink, gray, and light blue wires going into it. If you don't have all of those wires, you have the newer one.

Tags
gauges, mdc, perfect pass, speedometer