• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boostd_GSXR
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jul 2012

Malibu style wedge on a MC

So I did some searching and haven't seen a recent thread on the wedge system. I have been riding behind a new BU and the powered wedge system is simply amazing. Lifts the boat to plain out quickly then digs in t shape the wake perfectly to your liking. Fully adjustable on the fly

I personally love Mastercraft, the looks, the feel just about everything about the boat. With that said I would love to see this Malibu technology on a Mastercraft. Does anyone know is that is in the works at all??
  • clrussell
    MC Addict
    • Jul 2012

I’m on the opposite side of the wedge. I could care less about it. You can do anything the wedge can with tabs and weight

Comment

• John Johnson
      MC Devotee
      • Aug 2013

I think some federal litigation has foreclosed that ever happening. I agree with clrussell, tabs are much more adjustable. You can certainly get a huge wave with wedge though. Tough to stretch it out.

Comment

• WakeRider107
        TT Enthusiast
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
        I’m on the opposite side of the wedge. I could care less about it. You can do anything the wedge can with tabs and weight
        Agreed. Negatives outweigh the benefits in my opinion. I would rather take extra time to fill a bag in the cockpit than use an auto wedge.

Comment

• FourFourty
          MC Maniac
          • Nov 2010

No thanks! I prefer front storage, and not having to put a dump truck in the front of my boat to keep the bow down. Burning 1/3 less fuel is also a nice feature of not having a wedge.

Honestly, I’m surprised Malibu still uses it. It just has too many disadvantages........ which would be why not a single other boat company has bothered with a wedge type device. It’s certainly not because of any patents on it. That never stops any of them from copying good ideas.

Comment

• Boostd_GSXR
            TT Enthusiast
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
            No thanks! I prefer front storage, and not having to put a dump truck in the front of my boat to keep the bow down. Burning 1/3 less fuel is also a nice feature of not having a wedge.

Honestly, I’m surprised Malibu still uses it. It just has too many disadvantages........ which would be why not a single other boat company has bothered with a wedge type device. It’s certainly not because of any patents on it. That never stops any of them from copying good ideas.

I'm not sure you understand how the power wedge works. It both saves fuel and produces a much better wake. As well as adjustability on the fly. There are no negatives to having one. The boat plains out faster, and needs less weight.

Regardless of a opinion someone may or may not have (that's not the point of this thread) on a wedge and what it does. I'm more looking into if Mastercraft will be producing any similar technology

Comment

• John Johnson
              MC Devotee
              • Aug 2013

Mastercraft will not use a wedge ever. I disagree that it is adjustable. I surf behind Malibu/Axis as much as I do my own MC. It is not fuel efficient and it rips motors to pieces.

Comment

• LostDriver669
                MC Fanatic
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Boostd_GSXR View Post
                I'm not sure you understand how the power wedge works. It both saves fuel and produces a much better wake. As well as adjustability on the fly. There are no negatives to having one. The boat plains out faster, and needs less weight.

Regardless of a opinion someone may or may not have (that's not the point of this thread) on a wedge and what it does. I'm more looking into if Mastercraft will be producing any similar technology
                How does dropping what amounts to an anchor behind the boat save fuel? Not to mention, the hydrofoil function requires a minimum speed before it becomes effective, so again, not real beneficial. It also sounds like you want a Malibu instead of a MC.

Comment

• BudmanV24
                  MC Devotee
                  • May 2013

In north texas, i'd be afraid to use a wedge due to their dual purpose as a stump finder.
                  2006 MasterCraft XStar
                  2006 MasterCraft X1 - Sold
                  2003 Sevylor Caravelle 7' 6"

Comment

• FourFourty
                    MC Maniac
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boostd_GSXR View Post

I’m not sure you know how it works..... or maybe you are just trolling???

I owned a power wedge equipped Bu in the past, and I drive one regularly. I stand by my statements.

There is good reason that no other boat manufacturer has copied the wedge.

Comment

• bcd
                      MC Devotee
                      • Jul 2011

MC has autolaunch which automatically lowers all three tabs on start up to get the boat on plane faster. It is amazing and saves way more gas than waiting to drop the wedge until after the boat is on plane.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• jesam
                        MC Fanatic
                        • May 2015

Got to be trolling. Buy a Bu and move on.

Comment

• drx35
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2012

We had a Malibu last summer after selling our x-45 while waiting for the x24 build. Put 50 hours on it. I hated the tower and the Bimini top. It burned way more gas with that silly wedge. While it was down and we were surfing, it felt like the poor motor was going to blow up....MC will never put a surf gate or power wedge on a boat... (if you haven’t been on one of these newer mc’s you should. Very impressive)
                          "Dentist the Menace"

Comment

• GottaLuvGravity
                            TT Regular
                            • Jul 2018

Originally posted by bcd View Post
                            MC has autolaunch which automatically lowers all three tabs on start up to get the boat on plane faster. It is amazing and saves way more gas than waiting to drop the wedge until after the boat is on plane.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            Ditto. Last summer I spent time demoing these exact 2 systems trying to decide which one I liked. It was an easy choice for me in the end. The MC planes almost instantly w/ auto launch and when surfing you have a lot more flexibility to tune the wave. The Bu engine sounded like my old truck engine trying to pull too much weight up a steep hill when we dropped the wedge and you could smell the change in the exhaust. Buy whatever feels right to you but I wouldn't buy a boat with a wedge. I like 3 adjustable tabs which is btw what a majority of surf boats out there have.

Comment

• clrussell
                              MC Addict
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post

I agree the fuel consumption of a bu axis is way more than my loaded out 08 star with a 6.0.

The Malib/ axis I’ve been using average 10-12 gal an hour

Comment

Working...
                              X