Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-15-2021, 12:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
did you check the temp sender?
Can't find it. Looked on YouTube and it says its on the intake manifold or on the heads. I can't find any sensors on either of those parts. I found what looks to be a sensor on the water pump housing. Picture below. I tried getting some resistance specs from Indmar but they did not have any. Also, if the ECT sensor was bad, wouldn't all 8 spark plugs be fouled? Since only 5 of the 8 plugs are fouled, it doesn't seem it could be the ECT.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2021, 01:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '14 Prostar
but they are only slightly rich.

Yes, that looks like the coolant sensor for the ecu
Old 09-15-2021, 01:39 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
but they are only slightly rich.

Yes, that looks like the coolant sensor for the ecu
I guess it depends on one's definition of "slightly rich". I would classify them as being "Jeff Bezos" rich. Here are the latest pictures of some of the plugs I pulled over the weekend with only 5-7 hours of engine time on them.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2021, 01:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Maristar 210
You're right, those plugs are horrible for 5-8 hours of run time.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robadele View Post
You're right, those plugs are horrible for 5-8 hours of run time.
This is my 3rd set of plugs this summer and we've put about 50 hours on the boat. At this time, I just took 5 "OK" plugs I had from the previous 2 times I've changed them and replaced the really bad ones. The boat runs fine but just chews thru gas. Its always the same 5 plugs. It's got to be the fuel injectors.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Yes but those pictures look much worse than the ones you posted up last week. You keep saying "it runs fine", which is what keeps me heading towards the sensor readings. It might be worth buying the MEFIBurn software so you can see what the ECU is seeing and doing, it's great for diagnosing issues (logging, live readouts etc)

I can't remember seeing what sort of use you putting the boat though and whether you've given it a good blat, then turned off and checked the plugs etc, whether you have 20min idle to and from the ski zone or whether you can ski off the dock, all these things need to be considered when inspecting plugs. Are you chugging along fully laden surfing, no/full ballast and boarding or running 26/28/30/32/34/36 mph and course/free skiing - and at which point are you checking the plugs? - everything may be fine but you're just hitting a rich zone in the map - see software!

I don't know how much of the season you've got left, I presume from your header it's just a few weeks, I'd keep banging on with it as is, then whip the injectors out for cleaning and testing over the winter.

Then thoroughly and methodically work through the fuel system, cleaning out EVERYTHING (including the return hose), replace the fuel filters, flush the tank etc, then check the main sensors (MAP/ECT/TPS) to ensure they are within tolerance, then check the resistance / continuity of the loom for those sensors.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:40 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Yes but those pictures look much worse than the ones you posted up last week. You keep saying "it runs fine", which is what keeps me heading towards the sensor readings. It might be worth buying the MEFIBurn software so you can see what the ECU is seeing and doing, it's great for diagnosing issues (logging, live readouts etc)

I can't remember seeing what sort of use you putting the boat though and whether you've given it a good blat, then turned off and checked the plugs etc, whether you have 20min idle to and from the ski zone or whether you can ski off the dock, all these things need to be considered when inspecting plugs. Are you chugging along fully laden surfing, no/full ballast and boarding or running 26/28/30/32/34/36 mph and course/free skiing - and at which point are you checking the plugs? - everything may be fine but you're just hitting a rich zone in the map - see software!

I don't know how much of the season you've got left, I presume from your header it's just a few weeks, I'd keep banging on with it as is, then whip the injectors out for cleaning and testing over the winter.

Then thoroughly and methodically work through the fuel system, cleaning out EVERYTHING (including the return hose), replace the fuel filters, flush the tank etc, then check the main sensors (MAP/ECT/TPS) to ensure they are within tolerance, then check the resistance / continuity of the loom for those sensors.
Those are the last pictures and each time I replace them and wait 5-7 hours and then pull them they are worse. But, yes - the boat runs fine. Does not cough or sputter. Starts right away.

I usually don't winterize until the end of Oct/early Nov. I use my boat to go to the University of Washington football games. Our stadium is 1 of 2 college football stadiums that are accessible via water. The other is the University of Tennessee. My plan is to run fuel injector cleaner in each tank of gas until the end of the season. Then over the winter pull the fuel rail and injectors and have them professionally cleaned and/or replaced.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
I can't remember seeing what sort of use you putting the boat though and whether you've given it a good blat, then turned off and checked the plugs etc, whether you have 20min idle to and from the ski zone or whether you can ski off the dock, all these things need to be considered when inspecting plugs. Are you chugging along fully laden surfing, no/full ballast and boarding or running 26/28/30/32/34/36 mph and course/free skiing - and at which point are you checking the plugs? -
still no answer to this though
Old 09-16-2021, 09:55 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
still no answer to this though
For this summer, most (75%) of the 50 hours we've put on has been surfing. Carry about 3,000 lbs of water and passengers.

Not sure what "blat" means - must be a UK term.

During the months of Sept and Oct, the boat mainly see 20-25 mph runs from the marina to our football stadium on the lake. That is about a 30 minute run.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
if it is only 5 of the 8 that are loaded up like that then I would tend to agree that it could be the injectors, but only if the other three look like they should, normal white/brown. If those other three are black and loaded up say 1/2 as bad then I would be inclined to believe it is either a temp issue (that sensor is cheap go buy one)or you have a mapping issue.

I am hearing myself, but this may be a trip to the dealer to have them plug in a computer and see what is going on and save you time and money....