Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 03:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
I think the grill needs to be about 2/3 of its current size. Otherwise it looks okay.

Wish they had brought back the rear reclining seats that they had on the 07-13 Crewmax. As it is, the 19+ Ram 1500 would be the only truck I would consider to replace our MegaCab. The truck is pretty much exclusively used as a long distance tow and snow vehicle.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
I do like the new tundra but for me turbo's may not fit how i us it. I drive 34 miles to work every day so i bought a small truck (21 Colorado) for my commute and only drive my V8 Chevy when i need to tow. Anyone have thoughts on letting a v6 Turbo sit for longer stretches of time? I have heard that turbo's if not used get stuck and fail a lot sooner than if the truck is driven but i am no mechanic.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2021 Prostar
I agree that the front grill is a little much, but otherwise I like the truck and plan to replace my current Tundra with a 2022 TRD Pro.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
I find this release rather comical. Tundra folks have been “LOVE THAT RELIABLE 5.7, IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT”

Toyota: no more V8
Guy in the office down from me went and bought a current model as soon as he saw they ditched the V8.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 ProStar 205
I'll probably enjoy looking at the non-TRD Pro versions more, as I like my trucks with some chrome. The interior looks pretty great, though, which is honestly surprising for Toyota. I figured it'd be like looking at something from a decade ago lol.
1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
1995 MC ProStar 205
---------------------------------------
Old 09-21-2021, 12:33 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmothy07 View Post
I'll probably enjoy looking at the non-TRD Pro versions more, as I like my trucks with some chrome. The interior looks pretty great, though, which is honestly surprising for Toyota. I figured it'd be like looking at something from a decade ago lol.
I thought the same regarding the interior and was pleasantly surprised. I have a Platinum now and want to go with no chrome at all on the next one to change it up.

Lots of talk about the 5.7 which has been a great motor, but the fuel mileage on trips to the lake or pulling the sled trailer makes me glad they are replacing it.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2020 x star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I thought the same regarding the interior and was pleasantly surprised. I have a Platinum now and want to go with no chrome at all on the next one to change it up.

Lots of talk about the 5.7 which has been a great motor, but the fuel mileage on trips to the lake or pulling the sled trailer makes me glad they are replacing it.
Ya I am really impressed with the interior. Its such a massive upgrade over my '19. 5.7 is a great motor and its basically bulletproof but man I am not bummed to see it go. The gas milage is abysmal towing or not. I read something recently that stated is the single least fuel efficient motor vehicle in production.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
As someone who eyed up the new 2022 Tundra. Here are my thoughts. We’ve owned 3 Tacoma’s. Currently own the newest revision. Contemplated a fav 4 every time we’ve upgraded our small suv but always ended up with another MFG. Eyed up sequoia plenty of times.

The main reason for us never going to with the Toyota’s is they’re interior design and options. For us you were always paying a premium and getting substandard refinement inside and features outsides compared to other vehicles in its class. Tech was lagging , and while very reliable and def holding their value it was depressing inside. Leather and higher end options were only reserved for their highest end models. What you got in a standard SR5 packages was crumbs comparatively to their Korean and American counterparts. Led headlights seemed to take forever to be introduced.

I thought the Tundra just really never got the adjustments styling wise to compete. The latest previous Body style update was ok the TRd line looks good. We are looking at the new Tundra going head to head with the Ram EcoD for my dad. And I am now looking at a 1/2 Ton for my youngest.

As far as 2022. I like it from pics. I think it’s just enough styling refinement inside and out. The exterior should finally turn some heads . As 3 turbo car owner( small suv segment) the lag for me just never seems to settle in. I will saying driving our f150 Work EB is probably the smoothest of the turbos . , but my personal Turbos were/are brutal.

One question ………..do you think if it wasn’t for the EPA slamming unrealistic expectations that all these trucks would be moving to the style of engines they have ? I have replaced 2 turbos on 3 of the turbo cars we’ve owned. Covered under warranty. So those leave me
Skeptical as you would imagine. I know turbos have had a purpose well out of the retail segment in the performance world for years. But that’s an apples to oranges comparisons in usage .

Recently shopping for my youngest’s first car( she wants 1500 pickup ) over the past month has been an absolute challenge , not to mention the premiums of above sticker dreams these dealerships are demanding for what you can find is insanity. I was looking for a CPO vehicle but those are even rarer in the market than a new vehicle, so curious what happens to these Tundras in price. It’s quite possibly the worst time to need a vehicle. I won’t even get started on used 3/4 ton Diesel truck search and their prices.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 09-21-2021, 01:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
As an owner of 2nd gen Sequoia with low miles and several years to go before considering replacement.....

I agree with you Swatguy on preference for a naturally aspirated engine overall AND for towing duty but I am not saying I will never consider it. I have a few more years to see how the stats pan out.

The tech in our Sequoia is woeful as you noted, but I'm OK with the tradeoff for the trust I've developed in Toyota vehicles. It's a big gas pig, for sure, we rotate vehicles so it doesn't have to do daily duty all the time.

For sure the EPA has driven engine tech including the stop/start and turbos. In our extended family there are a couple Hyundai SUVs with the 2.0 turbo and they get crappy mileage - i think the tradeoff from V6 didn't work there - as an example. Toyota needed to do SOMETHING with the 5.7 , given it has been the only option and worse on gas than the big3's v8 options

Will consider a Tundra with the V6 next time around. I will also consider a used lower mileage one with the V8 depending on the vehicle rotation we'll have at the time.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

I'm expecting to see the pricing in line with the high end F150 which puts them in the $90K+ range for their top models in Canada.