Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X22
Our 2020 X22 has 130 hours on it. The only profiles we ever use for surfing are the stock “steep left” and “steep right”. I’m going to try what the OP suggests.

At about the 100 hour mark we bought 600 lbs of lead. We put 150 lbs under the port bag, 150 under the starboard bag. 50 under the seats on each side right about where the tower is. The last 200 lbs gets moved between the bow locker (when we want to motor over to the fuel dock) or on the floor as far aft as possible when surfing. I gotta say, the lead was definitely worth it.

This is our first surf boat so we don’t have any other perspective. We like to switch from side to side. (I recently got a ride on a Malibu that had a wrist remote that allowed the surfer to swap the wave. The on the X22 it requires some pretty good communication between the driver and the surfer. Maybe MC will offer that in the future.)

I’m curious about the above posts that say fill the switchback tank to 100%. I assumed that the reason that is not recommenced is so that it will quickly move the wave from one side to another. For those of you filling the switchback to 100% are you also switching the wave from side to side while surfing?

TJ
Old 08-12-2020, 01:16 AM
TT Regular

Oh yeah, I forgot. OP said pics are required.

My boat didnít come with the optional adjustable seat back on the starboard bench, so I made one. It took a little tweaking to get it to be just the way we wanted it, but now itís a lot more adjustable (and comfortable) than the optional backrest. There is a small downside. Access to the cooler now takes a little effort.

In order to lift the starboard bench to get into the cooler you must rotate the backrest out of the way. To do it you first loosen the knobs indicated by the red arrows then slide the cushion down as shown by the light blue arrow. (The other option is to move the helm seat forward to get it out of the way for the next step.)

Then you must loosen the knobs to which the yellow arrows point, and then the cushion will flop down per the green arrow.

The only photo I have of it in the down position was taken before construction was complete:

TJ
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2020, 09:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Ď20 X22 6.2L GDI, '15 X10 6.0L
^Nice work Taj! May have to follow your lead on the starboard seat back conversion.

Just stowed her for hibernation after a tremendous 96 hours in her first season.

Will dream about this wave all winter.

Xpost MMís X22 Surf Session:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-12-2020, 10:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2012 X15
You're calling it a season early huh Moose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
^Nice work Taj! May have to follow your lead on the starboard seat back conversion.

Just stowed her for hibernation after a tremendous 96 hours in her first season.

Will dream about this wave all winter.

Xpost MMís X22 Surf Session:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

THAT was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2020, 07:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft XT22
The seat back build is neat. You can buy the parts and add it to your boat for $400. It reuses the original cushion just need some bolts to connect to post riser. Itís part number 560315 and 530211. You can fill the old holes for standard mount with spectrum patch paste kit. Then it will look like the factory installed it.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:05 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakejunkie View Post
The seat back build is neat. You can buy the parts and add it to your boat for $400. It reuses the original cushion just need some bolts to connect to post riser. Itís part number 560315 and 530211. You can fill the old holes for standard mount with spectrum patch paste kit. Then it will look like the factory installed it.
I thought about buying the parts and installing the OEM backrest. I decided against it because it doesnít raise the cushion very much. It is a nice idea, but it isnít particularly useful. (Just one manís opinion.). The attached pictures gives perspective regarding how much higher my redneck version is compared to the OEM version.

I did reuse the stock cushion, and I didnít drill any holes. There was no need to patch anything.

My original thought was that I was going to make a bracket out of stainless steel. I started out making what I thought would be a prototype out of poplar. It turned out good enough that I just painted it. Hahahahaha.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2020, 03:07 PM
TT Regular

Holy obnoxiously large pictures, Batman! Sorry about that.

TJ
Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2020 MC X22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJX22 View Post
Our 2020 X22 has 130 hours on it. The only profiles we ever use for surfing are the stock ďsteep leftĒ and ďsteep rightĒ. Iím going to try what the OP suggests.

At about the 100 hour mark we bought 600 lbs of lead. We put 150 lbs under the port bag, 150 under the starboard bag. 50 under the seats on each side right about where the tower is. The last 200 lbs gets moved between the bow locker (when we want to motor over to the fuel dock) or on the floor as far aft as possible when surfing. I gotta say, the lead was definitely worth it.

This is our first surf boat so we donít have any other perspective. We like to switch from side to side. (I recently got a ride on a Malibu that had a wrist remote that allowed the surfer to swap the wave. The on the X22 it requires some pretty good communication between the driver and the surfer. Maybe MC will offer that in the future.)

Iím curious about the above posts that say fill the switchback tank to 100%. I assumed that the reason that is not recommenced is so that it will quickly move the wave from one side to another. For those of you filling the switchback to 100% are you also switching the wave from side to side while surfing?

TJ
Thanks very much for starting this thread! We are at 94 hours after getting the boat the first week of June. Family is loving it. My kids do like to switchback and we keep everything at 100%. As you say, it does take a little surfer/driver coordination. Also, when you flip sides, the center ballast automatically begin to drain so you need to quickly stop it. It's fairly easy to stop it in about a second and a half at 99% and fill it right back to 100% in two seconds. I realize we aren't supposed to run the pumps above 1500 rpms as it can drain the battery however I think this is insignificant (Please tell me if I'm wrong about that!)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X22 2020 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfline View Post
Also, when you flip sides, the center ballast automatically begin to drain so you need to quickly stop it. It's fairly easy to stop it in about a second and a half at 99% and fill it right back to 100% in two seconds. I realize we aren't supposed to run the pumps above 1500 rpms as it can drain the battery however I think this is insignificant (Please tell me if I'm wrong about that!)
You can get around this by setting both left and right profiles with tanks at 100%, then instead of using the 'Left' and 'Right' buttons on the main surf screen, just activate the opposite profile from the profile selection screen.

Have to say, that is one thing I'd like to see different - I'd like to be able to modify the standard profiles, so that the buttons on the main screen are still easy to use...

2020 X22
2018 XT22
2014 Aqua Patio
2003 Malibu Response LXi
2001 Malibu Sunsetter
1978 Ski Supreme