Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 02:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
https://youtu.be/mATJ2bgdxL4

Not the best thought out or choreographed exercise...but I do feel I need to carry the torch a little since 440 doesnít have a boat.

Not meant to be apples to apples, or scientific comparison to say that one is definitively better than the other....I was just out with some friends and I brought a tape measure. I definitely could have played around with the settings and done some stuff different, but Iím not boardco- I donít get paid to make videos and sell boats, I want to enjoy my time on the lake.

My point is just that the X boats are in the same realm as the other ďbest in the worldĒ surf waves...the rest is about setup and personal preference.

Of note, Iím 6í2Ē ; 210 pounds (thanks covid). Iím way bigger than the boardco guy. He is also much more talented than me...and this was my second run of the season- still rusty- and wearing a full wetsuit, riding my normal 4í7Ē board (pretty small for a guy my size).

Not really worth watching the video, so if you donít want to click the link- I can just tell you I was about 30í back at 12.5mph and could recover from the curl of the wave fairly easily...the rollers coming off the lake were making it challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We need a like/love button on this forum. Very nice
Old 05-16-2021, 02:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbacca View Post
Honest question from someone who primarily wakeboards: Does big vs biggest really make a difference for most people here? Most of us are limited by our skillset, not the wave. I see the same thing in wakeboarding. Until you get to the point of throwing pro-level tricks, what does it matter? I'm throwing the same tricks behind my 205V stock wake as I would behind a perfectly tuned latest-gen X-star.
No. It legitimately doesnít. I can do my entire bag of tricks behind a direct drive Malibu.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer
Old 05-16-2021, 03:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2020 X-Star
Quote:
Honest question from someone who primarily wakeboards: Does big vs biggest really make a difference for most people here? Most of us are limited by our skillset, not the wave. I see the same thing in wakeboarding. Until you get to the point of throwing pro-level tricks, what does it matter? I'm throwing the same tricks behind my 205V stock wake as I would behind a perfectly tuned latest-gen X-star.

I 100% agree that at a certain point you need to stop b$&!*ing about the wave and work at being a better surfer.

With that said, when you throw a trick wakesurfing you lose speed...and a more powerful wave (not necessarily just bigger) will help you from losing the wave and recover. This is different than wakeboarding, it can definitely help you progress, but also can be a crutch, also like wakeboarding big wakes.

If you need an M235, or a Centurion, or an Xstar to stay in the wave after trying a 360...youíre doing something wrong...just like if you can only jump the wake on a wakeboard behind a sacked out G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2021, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X1 RTP-1
Yeah I mean, the measuring tape tests are pretty cool. I wouldn't have known the pockets were that long. But at the price points of the boats we're discussing, the difference in a couple of feet of pocket length would be towards the bottom of my consideration. Even if I were primarily surfing.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Yeah I mean, the measuring tape tests are pretty cool. I wouldn't have known the pockets were that long. But at the price points of the boats we're discussing, the difference in a couple of feet of pocket length would be towards the bottom of my consideration. Even if I were primarily surfing.
This would make a great on going new thread to start.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 black mastercraft x15 going on 1700 hrs (Sold!) Upgraded to a 2013 mastercraft xstar 👍 (Sold!) 2019 Xstar
Quote:
I think for the average maybe 1 invert itís not a big deal. But if your looking to progress and learn. Itís makes a huge difference hitting a wake the sends you effortlessly vs a wake where 50 % of your energy is used up trying to get some air. We have progressed through boats. 22 Ď blue water. 2007 x15 to an Xstar. And it defiantly makes landing tricks easier the bigger the wake is. I donít know where I would be categorized tho, multiple 180s 360s 5-6 inverts.