Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-18-2021, 11:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 2004 350 MCX MasterCraft XT22 2020 5.3GDI
Extra Ballast Bags in XT22

I have seen that most people seem to be adding lead weight to their XT boats. Has anyone else considered added extra bags under the seats below the tower legs?
I figured if I had bags instead of lead, I would generally keep them full, but it would only take 10 minutes or so to throw a Tsunami pump on to empty them. I would then have the ability to take someone for a ski on the odd occasion.
I have already asked in the XT22 thread for locker dimensions (no-one has got back to me yet) It looks like I will be unable to get to my boat for maybe another month, so I would appreciate it if someone could grab a tape measure and let me know how much room is beneath the seat where the cooler lives. I am going to leave the cooler out. I am not able to order bags until I get these measurements.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X20 6000
Hey Malles. Can't help but very interested in how this works out for you. Hopefully someone will help you with the dimensions. I assume its winter for you so you can't get to your boat. Please post what size and weight you're able to add when you get it finished.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Hey Wallos, yeah, its winter here and we are also in lockdown again so not able to go that far to measure myself. Big shout-out to my local dealer @mastercraftmelbourne who rang one of his customers to get the details for me. I ordered a couple bags from Wakemakers yesterday. When installed I will have an extra 610lbs per side (if I can fill them completely). It sounds like most people are only adding 1000lbs extra so I should be good to go. I also have another 400lb of lead that I can use if needed. The plan is to install 2 new thru hull inlets and 2 new thru hull vents. I've also purchased the fastfill pumps for the rear tanks/bags, as well as some high current relays to drive them. I plan to repurpose the original pumps to fill the new sacks. I'm not keen on leaving my boat on the trailer with 1000lbs of lead, so this will give me a lot more flexibility by being able to empty everything out each time.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X20 6000
Mallees, that's great to hear. What was the dimensions and what bags did you pick? Extra 1200 lbs as an option to lead sounds good.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Hey Wallos, I picked a pair of the WakeMAKERS UniversalFIT Rear Locker Ballast Bags. Bag Size 40"L x 25"W x 15"H - 610lbs They haven't shipped yet, but I'm hoping one will pretty much completely fill the cooler locker, and there is obviously heaps of room in the coffin locker, really looking forward to getting it all plumbed in. I'm still undecided where to install the new switches, that's the problem with these new boats , I can't just add an extra couple switches to the touch screen unfortunately. (It would be nice to have the programming software for the screen) The fast fill pumps should be pretty straight forward, I've ordered a couple 4x4 winch relays to handle switching the extra current of the fast fill pumps.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft XT22
Depending on winch relays you got they may not last long. I did a lot of research into the proper relays to handle the amperage of fast fill pumps. I would piggyback the bag vent to new bag inlet and then vent out. If you wanted dedicated fill empty for those bags then I would make a bracket off the phone holder for them. If you need help with wiring the pumps just ask
Old 07-25-2021, 11:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hey Wakejunkie, the winch relays a purchased are rated at 100amp continuous duty and have an electrical life of min 50,000 operations, so I'm hoping they outlast me, . The reason I went down this path is purely lack of space. I was originally going to do the same as you with 2 solenoids per pump, but now that I'm installing an extra 2 pumps I would require a total of 8 solenoids. The plan is to mount a panel with 4 winch relays and a fuse block near the batteries, that way I'll only need to run small control cables from original pump connectors to control the big pumps, and a couple small 3 core flexes from the new switches to control the repurposed pumps. I'll also run some 6mm2 cable to all 4 pumps from the relays. Slight overkill for the ballast puppies, but just trying to keep it uniform. I also considered teeing in to the existing vent line, but then I'd need non-return valves. I really want to be able to see when the new bags are full, so I can turn them off.
Also, thanks heaps for the offer on help with wiring, I'm pretty sure I have it covered but I'll be sure to call upon you if I have any questions.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft XT22
The new bags are way smaller than stock rear system so with fast fill pumps it will be full in 2 minutes tops. I would replace factory rears for fast fill and move stock pumps to added bags. Then everything will be sub 5 minutes. I looked into winch relays and though they were rated continuous duty it was only for 1-2 minutes. If the pumps run longer the relays build heat and fail. Just a heads up if they act up. I meant the additional switches I would mount off the phone holder. Hereís a pic of the dual 1.5Ē intake valve

Old 07-27-2021, 03:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakejunkie View Post
The new bags are way smaller than stock rear system so with fast fill pumps it will be full in 2 minutes tops. I would replace factory rears for fast fill and move stock pumps to added bags. Then everything will be sub 5 minutes. I looked into winch relays and though they were rated continuous duty it was only for 1-2 minutes. If the pumps run longer the relays build heat and fail. Just a heads up if they act up. I meant the additional switches I would mount off the phone holder. Hereís a pic of the dual 1.5Ē intake valve

Sorry I thought I said that. I am going to use the stock pumps for the new bags. Iíve actually put a hold on the bags as Iím hoping I can get bigger ones. I never actually got an accurate width measurement for the cooler locker. Weíve been in Civid lockdown for the last few weeks so I havenít been able to get to my boat, but that has changed today so Iíll be going to the cabin this weekend to get accurate dimensions. I see what you mean about the relays, hmmm Iíll keep an eye on them. If they start getting too hot, I may have to change over to solenoids, but I really donít have any room. I purchased a battery charger from the states without thinking about supply voltage. . So I had to buy a 240/120 volt transformer to fix that mistake. This takes up most of the room behind the batteries. For the cost of the relays, Iím not going to go broke if I need to replace them every couple years ( hopefully they last that long). That dual intake looks the goods, Iím actually thinking of not increasing the suction size initially purely to ensure I donít crack the hard tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2021, 06:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: XT 22 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallees View Post
Sorry I thought I said that. I am going to use the stock pumps for the new bags. Iíve actually put a hold on the bags as Iím hoping I can get bigger ones. I never actually got an accurate width measurement for the cooler locker. Weíve been in Civid lockdown for the last few weeks so I havenít been able to get to my boat, but that has changed today so Iíll be going to the cabin this weekend to get accurate dimensions. I see what you mean about the relays, hmmm Iíll keep an eye on them. If they start getting too hot, I may have to change over to solenoids, but I really donít have any room. I purchased a battery charger from the states without thinking about supply voltage. . So I had to buy a 240/120 volt transformer to fix that mistake. This takes up most of the room behind the batteries. For the cost of the relays, Iím not going to go broke if I need to replace them every couple years ( hopefully they last that long). That dual intake looks the goods, Iím actually thinking of not increasing the suction size initially purely to ensure I donít crack the hard tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Mallees, got the same boat 2018 edition here is Aus also so interested in this mod, are u unhappy with the wave of just looking to further improve it ? Are you going to be able to up size the inlets to the factory rear tanks to go with the fast fill pumps, have you looked at upsizing the factory rear bags as if I recall some other posts here the factory ones are not the biggest you can go but it depend something on the rear lockers as there was a slight difference between some XT 22s and other XT22's if I remember those posts correctly.