Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-09-2021, 12:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2012 X15
Thoughts and Prayers Needed

I saw firsthand how much this forum and community helped Luke and now I unfortunately must come to you with another ask. My college roommate's brother was in a jet ski acident this weekend in Louisiana and was life flighted to Lafayette General Medical Center with a serious brain injury.

Please send any and all thoughts, prayers, and good vibes his way as he works through his long road to recovery.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mileswatt...jfh6AiRG4pSlkE

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Last edited by jbmccul; 08-12-2021 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2012 X35 6.0 Ilmor
Sending prayers
Old 08-09-2021, 08:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
sorry to hear, will keep them in my prayers. keep us updated
Old 08-09-2021, 10:09 AM
MC Maniac

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Sorry to hear this. Prayer sent.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:54 AM
MC Maniac

Good update.

UPDATE: from Miles' wife Emily Watts

Emily:***I apologize for this being so long, I’ll try to update more frequently****

We are still in the critical 72 hour window.
{in the first 72 hours of a brain injury, swelling of the brain can occur amongst other things.}

*8/7*
4PM (ish)- Miles is found in the river by some nearby boaters. Face-up, life jacket on, breathing. Nobody saw the accident. His best friend and himself got separated somehow. So he wasn’t alone but he was alone. (Does that make sense?)

6PM: Miles arrived to LCMH ER. They run tests. They see a diffuse brain bleed on his CT. No other injuries. They get him stable.

8PM: Miles is transported via helicopter to LGMC ER. He arrives about 9PM. They wait for me to make it there to consent to all of his tests and procedures. His parents make it there. They’re able to finally see their son.

10PM: I arrive to LGMC ER. I register him, give consent. Let’s make Miles better in any way possible.

11PM: Miles gets to the ICU, they drill burr holes and put a ventriculostomy in to manage the pressures in his brain. They’re within normal ranges. They have to keep him sedated because his blood pressure and HR were too high.

11:30PM: We finally get to see him again. Intubated. OG tube in place. Neurosurgeon in room. They diagnosed him with DAI brain injury which is one of the more severe types, but there’s no way of figuring out the extent (via imaging) to which his neurons have been damaged. Only what Miles can show us. He’s posturing to pain stimulus, delayed, and different for each side. We stay until almost 1AM.

*8/8*

6AM: Miles is stable. Now he’s running fever, which is normal for brain injury patients. But guess what, he stopped posturing. His responses to pain stimuli seem more even and more purposeful, still delayed. He’s stable. The pressures in his brain are still within normal range. There seems to be less blood coming out of his ventriculostomy.

1PM: During visitation I noticed his HR going up which was a sign that the Propofol was wearing off. This may be my chance for him to hear me before they have to give him more.
This is how it went:

I said: “Miles, it’s me, if you can hear me I want to so squeeze my hand.”

Both of his arms move up towards his chest and his left hand squeezes mine. I can tell he seemed distressed. He always hated the idea of being intubated and I think he’s starting to realize that he is. He’s raising his legs and both arms. Aggitated.

I said “Miles, I know you don’t know what’s going on right now but I need you to trust me. I need you to relax.”

And he did. Every time I would tell him something he would raise his arms to his chest. But when I would tell him to relax, he would. I believe he hears me. And I believe he understands me.

6PM: Condition the same. Miles is just laying there being that handsome man he is. Though we need to do something about the awkward haircut they gave him. I’m working on it. He’s sleeping well. His response to pain stimulation has gotten quicker. Still purposeful.

*8/9*

6AM: Condition stable. Still has fever. Pressures okay. His responses to pain are more promising.

—————————————————————

I cannot say enough about LCMH ER. They knew Miles as soon as he rolled in. They love him, and they gave him the best care he could possibly get. All his former classmates and coworkers introduced themselves and hugged me. I had some of my own people there too. I love y’all so much. Seriously, I can’t say enough good things about everyone at LCMH from the security guard to the ER staff and everyone in between.

Even the staff on MedEvac knew him. They’ve flown patients for him. I’ll never forget their reaction when they realized who he was. I asked them to send me pics of him in the helicopter with his little ear muffs on. They laughed. But they actually did it. I love this crew.

LGMC. Against all odds, there are even people there that we knew too. The medical field is just one ever-growing, loving family. They were so sweet letting John see Miles. Mary and I are the only people that can see Miles during his entire stay.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2021, 05:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
promising news, thanks for the update
Old 08-09-2021, 06:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 MCX, 1995 Prostar 190 5.7 TBI - no ballast!
More prayers all the way from Ohio, look forward to more promising news, sending hope and prayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 08-09-2021, 11:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Achilles sg124
God was on his side when he landed floating face up in a river all alone unconscious. Prayers sent.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:33 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
More prayers all the way from Ohio, look forward to more promising news, sending hope and prayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
God was on his side when he landed floating face up in a river all alone unconscious. Prayers sent.
Thanks guys. Definitely amazing he landed face up in the water.

Quote: