Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2021, 04:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X1, 2007, MDX 350
Used Boat in Saltwater

Team -

The family and I are driving from Montana to southern California to look at a 2014 X-30. Just over the last year it was used in saltwater a couple times a month. The first 6 years the boat was used in freshwater.

Are there any specific things I need to look for. Looking at the outside you couldn't tell the boat was ever in salt water. They did install a water strainer in engine for lake grass etc and a flush kit was installed. The owner says that the boat was very well taken care of and flushed out after every use.

The boat is already on a galvanized trailer.

Is it a must to have an independent service tech look at the boat? We plan on taking it out for an hour or so (in the ocean) on Saturday. Anything I should be looking for?

Please chime in with any thoughts.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Maristar 210
you should be getting a discounted price for a salt water boat. Look for any corrosion on engine, or pumps (ballast, bilge) or electronics. You should have a mechanic look at it unless you are very mechanically inclined. If it is in great condition, but was used in salt water, it just won't last as long as a fresh water only boat, unless it had closed cooling installed.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 XT23, previous was 2004 XSTAR, first was a prostar 190
Just out of curiosity what are they asking for the boat? I am not trying to but in just curious.

2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash
Old 08-11-2021, 05:21 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
^^. I will let him answer that question.

the ad is somewhat a little misleading. pics show the factory trailer and at the very end of the post it states new galvi trailer. photos are beautiful

I would say it is prices "better" than most out there with covid pricing. I actually debated giving them a call but decided I want to wait a year.

good luck with it
Old 08-11-2021, 05:26 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
Just out of curiosity what are they asking for the boat? I am not trying to but in just curious.
They are asking $72,500

In today's market it's one of the cheaper X-30s out there. One dealer told me he wouldn't pay more than half of what a boat is going for that has been used exclusively on freshwater. I spoke to a handful of different dealers they sure seemed to be scared off from a boat in saltwater, which will definitely hurt my resale value. However, the exterior and interior couldn't look better.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Salt water usage affects more than just the engine. MC’s Salt Water package provides heavy duty electronic connectors, hydraulic steering, stainless steel hardware throughout the boat as well as sacrificial anodes. It doesn’t take a lot of exposure to salt water for corrosion to take hold.

Unless you will be running the boat in salt water yourself, I would look elsewhere. Here’s a photo of the engine in a 2011 boat I bought. And this was a Salt Water Series model…

The tower was seized in the upright position as well.

This was definitely in the “worst case scenario” category but I want you to see what salt water can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2021, 06:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkknutson View Post
Team -

The family and I are driving from Montana to southern California to look at a 2014 X-30. Just over the last year it was used in saltwater a couple times a month. The first 6 years the boat was used in freshwater.

Are there any specific things I need to look for. Looking at the outside you couldn't tell the boat was ever in salt water. They did install a water strainer in engine for lake grass etc and a flush kit was installed. The owner says that the boat was very well taken care of and flushed out after every use.

The boat is already on a galvanized trailer.

Is it a must to have an independent service tech look at the boat? We plan on taking it out for an hour or so (in the ocean) on Saturday. Anything I should be looking for?

Please chime in with any thoughts.
Save yourself a trip. Walk away. Salt is not your friend regardless of frequency of exposure. People will tell you anything about salt, flushing after every use, used very little in salt...you name it, they will tell it. Look for something else. Been there.

Thank me now and thank me later.

2 Peter 1:3–8

Matthew 6:1-4

Last edited by waterlogged882; 08-11-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Save yourself a trip. Walk away. Salt is not your friend regardless of frequency of exposure. People will tell you anything about salt, flushing after every use, used very little in salt...you name it, they will tell it. Look for something else. Been there.

Thank me now and thank me later.

This, don't do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2021, 11:57 AM
TT Newbie

Not the answers I wanted to hear.

If the price is right and we can get the boat is there anything I can do to clean it or help prevent any future issues? I'm guessing there is something that can be done. It's not the first boat to be used in saltwater.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2020 x star
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkknutson View Post
Not the answers I wanted to hear.

If the price is right and we can get the boat is there anything I can do to clean it or help prevent any future issues? I'm guessing there is something that can be done. It's not the first boat to be used in saltwater.
Definitely not the answer you wanted to hear but in the long run you will be thankful you heard them. There is a reason the price is right compared to the rest of the market right now. Salt wreaks havoc on boats, regardless of how well cared for they are. 6 years in salt is no insignificant amount of time and you are just setting yourself up to deal with broken and corroded stuff with a boat like that.

I know it hurts but walk away. You will thank yourself in the long run.