Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
Teach me to Winterize

Anyone ever use the Perko Flush kit on their MCs. Or is that money wasted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawest79 View Post
Anyone ever use the Perko Flush kit on their MC’s. Or is that money wasted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My boat has one on each engine on the engine side of the raw water filter...definitely worth it for me. just have to make sure you close off the ball valve at the main raw intake so your not sucking air the entire time. I was really confused as to why mine wasn't working right....then It hit me that I never closed the valves.

Also to the OP. I'm in Saint Clair shores if you need any dire help. But you should be able to figure it all out.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawest79 View Post
If I drain all the water, then hook up the bucket to suck up the anti-freeze. Will it do any damage to the engine when I start it bc there is a short period period where there is no water or anti-freeze inside the engine?

The engine doesn't care at all that its passages are dry - so long as the head gets some fluid pretty quickly.

What does care - the raw water pump. Best practice IMO is to "beer bong" antifreeze into the hose till there is a charge of antifreeze available to the pump immediately - this is the advantage to a bucket with a bulkhead fitting instead of just putting the hose in the bucket. Another technique is if you pull the impeller just pack it with a bunch of glycerine when you reinsert the impeller - that will get it lubed while it pulls water up.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5
One last question: I warmed the boat up for approx. 15 minutes but the temp never got above 145 / 150. Drained the block, reinserted the plugs then sucked up 5 gallons of marine anti-freeze and shut her down. I am concerned the thermostat was not open bc it didn't get to 170(ish). Should I be concerned? Can I sleep well knowing the engine is properly winterized?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ProStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Here is a set of videos I did for my nephew to show him how to change oil, trans and winterize...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r6lj029em...ViZaqbala?dl=0
Great videos thanks for sharing.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrowbot View Post
One last question: I warmed the boat up for approx. 15 minutes but the temp never got above 145 / 150. Drained the block, reinserted the plugs then sucked up 5 gallons of marine anti-freeze and shut her down. I am concerned the thermostat was not open bc it didn't get to 170(ish). Should I be concerned? Can I sleep well knowing the engine is properly winterized?

I'd drain the block again and be sure that pink come out. IMO, There is 0 reason to have any fluid in the block over the winter season. I pull the plug/knock-sensor, jam a small screwdriver in the hole to be sure there is to sediment impeding water from exiting, and put my impeller, plug/knock-sensor, etc. in a ziplock on the drivers seat for the next season.

In order for my engine to get up to temp I had to restrict the water flow (I use my garden hose attached at my flush kit) as it comes in at 56, close the sun deck, and let it run for 20 or so minutes. This also allows the stabilizer I put in the tank get through the entire system. Once up to temp, I antifreeze 6 gallons through the flush kit and just before running out of antifreeze, I spray fog through the intake till shutdown. RV Antifreeze always comes out of the block after doing this method.

TLDR: I'd take 3 minutes to Drain the block again to be sure you wont freeze up.

D2

Old 10-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
I use automotive AF and I leave it in the block. Mostly to help prevent corrosion and rust build up in the water jackets of the heads and block. I suck it up using the water intake from a bucket.

I linked this above, but is my old boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE9PfH7rfro
Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Indmar
I forgot to mention that it is important to winterize your ballast as well.
Here is my procedure for my 3500 lb piggy back system in a 205V:
  1. Remove the 6 Ballast Bags
  2. Put output hose on starboard ballast pump in 5 gallon bucket with RV antifreeze
  3. Select empty on SB pump switch and stop when antifreeze shoots out of the side of the boat
  4. Repeat for Portside pump
  5. Keep hose in portside pump, get ready for KGB pump
  6. Turn KGB pump on fill, turn Portside pump on empty
  7. Monitor KGB fill hose in locker and shut pumps down when Antifreeze is flowing

This should ensure that any fluid in the system is Antifreeze, keeping the manifold or pumps from cracking.

D2

Old 10-11-2019, 01:06 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrowbot View Post
Your fine. Enjoy winter
Old 10-11-2019, 03:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
I have a 2011 x14v w/ Mcx. I drained the manifolds, then the plugs (knock sensors on both sides), then ran antifreeze through, then drained everything again. I am a bit concerned though that it didn’t seem like much liquid came out of the block. It wasn’t pouring out at all, more dribbling for a few minutes (though definitely pink after I ran the AF through). This is kind of a random question, but should there be a lot of liquid coming out of the block? I disconnect the manifolds first and a bunch comes out of there.