Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
MC Master Poster

If you remove most of the screws holding the seat assembly down, you will be able to lift it enough to put something firm(but not too hard) under the fiberglass and get it off of the floor panel that needs to come out. Once this panel's screws have been removed, get the front edge out and lift up in order to slide it forward. Then, raise the front so it can come out completely. You'll see the tabs that hold the tank in place.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Sounds like a plan. Thanks. We'll see how it goes. Bill Z
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
DCF

I have a 2001 205V and just had to replace the steering cable the week before last. I had to take the center section of the floor up but was able to do that by taking the 4 bolts out that hold the center fiberglass seat support to the outer seat supports. This provide enough flex that I didn't have to get into removing the vertical back cushions. My fuel tank was also full but by unscrewing the brackets and prying the front of the tank up with a short piece of 2 X 4, the fuel ran toward the back of the tank and I got enough clearance to pull the cable through. I also took a section of a plastic file folder and taped it over the front section of the cable including the nut to help keep it from catching on anything. Once I figured that all out it went pretty smoothly however I wish I had seen this thread before I started. It is also a little curious to me why the cable would fail after only 135 hours. I hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 PM
MC Master Poster

On a 4 year old boat, it's usually not the 135 hours of use, it's the 8500 hours that it isn't used. If there's moisture in the sleeve, it's better to use it and keep the moisture from sitting on the cable that just eating into it.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks DCF. I have not had a chance to attack it again yet, but when I do I will try to figure out what you mean by "the 4 bolts that hold the center seat support to the outer seat support." Getting the floor out seemed like the most involved step. Thaks for all help. Bill Z
Old 05-06-2005, 02:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 maristar 200vrs, 275tbi
cable

i am presently replacing mine in my 95 200vrs and mine is hanging up on tank as well. i am going to drain some fuel out of tank tomorrow and lift tank. a little more work but you sure learn your boat when you do it yourself.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 AM
TT Newbie

JimN,
I have just bought a new X30, first time out the steering to left was very stiif, has smoothed a little but it is only smooth at idle speed and fully planed out, dealer say this is characteristic of the 230/X30 series.
Does this sound correct to you
Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
MCdriver, I know it's a new boat, but you might want to check the lubrication to the cable (or are these rack and pinion on the new boats). Your other post seemed to say it was binding at idle. My father-in-law's boat did this last year. Lubed the steering over the winter and it's like a new boat.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:09 PM
DCF

Isupcar, I will try to clarify the 4 bolts.... Remove the rear center horizontal seat cushion and the insert tray under it. The fiberglass panel that the cushion sits on is a seperate section that starts at the floor and ends at the top of the seat back cushion. This section is secured to the fiberglass panels on either side by 4 through bolts on either side. If you take out the bottom 2 bolts on each side, the bottom edge of the center fiberglass panel should have enough flex up from the floor to allow you remove the center floor section that extends under this panel. You can access one side of the bolts through the hole where the tray normally sits and the other side from the compartments under the port and starboard rear seat cushions. The center floor section is just wedged into place (no bolts). Just remove the access panel for the center drain plug and pull up (toward the front first). This description is for my 2001 205V but before this boat I had a 98 225 VRS which I beleive was layed out the same. I hope this helps.

JimN, You may be right about the lack of use however my boat spends most of it's time in a heated and air conditioned garage and is almost always dry. If the problem is moisture, I guess it doesn't take much....

Last edited by DCF; 05-06-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks DCF. Crystal clear. My floor/seat arrangement sounds similar to what you descibe, although the forward edge of my floor is secured by a screw on each side. I will give it try when I get a chance. Bill Z