Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 01:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: ‘20 X22 6.2L GDI, '15 X10 6.0L
Love the Traeger for all the reasons mentioned, ease of use and delicious food. The Yoder is indeed a kick arse setup, with a great sear door function, but twice the expense and very heavy gauge metal so a bit less movable.

The BGE might work well for you, the lump charcoal is tremendous, she cooks well at both low and slow and at super high heats, but takes a bit more work. We have both a Traeger and a BGE, jump ball.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
I 100% agree also. Offset stick burner is the way to go, but I just wouldn’t use it enough, it takes practice and skill…things I don’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a cheap inkbird temperature controller and a computer fan off Amazon and it makes holding temperature way easier. All you really have to do is make sure you don't run out of fuel, or just watch the temp, and add more when temperature starts dropping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2021, 07:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
I have a Traeger - For me never got Hot enough to sear a steak & cook times for this type of cooking were pretty long. I was going to add a conventional gas grill to back sear & just cook Hamburgers & Hot Dogs...

My wife found this... Best of both worlds & also has a griddle for the gas side, which is great at our camp for breakfast cooks. It is only available @ Walmart, however I did find one for $200 off It gets way hotter than my Taeger, 500 degrees on the Smoker side, has 2 probes as well as the Back sear gate. Also has an easy clean out for the smoker burner pot. So far I like it, however have not done a long smoke yet. I am just learning the entire Back Sear thing, and have to really adjust my cooking times & temperatures for my steak cooks
Pit Boss Platinum KC Combo, WiFi and Bluetooth Wood Pellet and Gas Grill
Old 08-04-2021, 08:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Count me as 100% Big Green Egg.
It’s the best do it all. Grill, sear, bake (pizza), smoke.
With the right starter it hardly takes any more time to heat up than a gas’s grill.
When our oven broke and it took time for replacement to come in I baked all kinds of things on the egg.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:56 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
I've got a BGE and seldom use it now.

For me, steaks should taste like beef and I think charcoal flavors get in the way of that. For me it's either cast iron or gas.

For smoking I only use my stick burning. The BGE doesn't get enough smoke on it even when I burn large chunks in the charcoal with it. So for butts, brisket or the like, stick burning is the only way to go.

For the BGE I can recommend ribs. Ribs don't need a lot of smoke and the BGE's ability to maintain steady heat for 6+ hours makes it a set and forget kind of deal.

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'
Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
^^^ Yep. Steaks on a cast iron skillet over a propane outdoor burner is the only way to go. Burgers and fajitas are great that way too. Gets hotter than the outdoor cooktops like Blackstone.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:01 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Funny I use my BGE a ton. If you dont want wood smoke flavor use a cast iron in it and open the top.

I use a turkey burner a ton with my wok for stirfry and my griddles ans cast iron too but not for steak.

I have one of those electric fans with a probe for the bge and replaced the firebox grate from the factory vast irom to a stainless grill grate for quicker response.

Great add on throttles the air flow for temp when you arent watching. saw one with a phone app may buy it.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
+1 on Large BGE. Most versatile of the group and will last forever. Threw away my gas grill as most do. Use a propane torch to get it going - the wife even lights it.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Get a regular grill it can do everything pretty well and is easiest to maintain. Everything else is a more specialized piece that just causes trouble. Think of it this way you have a bunch of people over and you need to make a load of burgers and dogs how. The pellet grill can do it but it really is annoying to make it on that. The big green egg can as well but that thing makes like 4 at a time. Nothing is as versatile as a regular grill. Now if you want to add to your grills then by all means do it.

Listed in order of the grills I have and use the most to least

Regular propane grill
Blackstone griddle
Pizza oven
Pellet Smoker
Green egg(it really just sits there and doesn't get used)
Old 08-04-2021, 03:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 x30
I've been thinking about a BGE or similar for a few years. Currently have a weber kettle and a smokey mountain. Kettle grill has been great. I was mainly thinking of the BGE to replace both. My wife bought me a digi Q temp controller for my birthday and that has made using the smokey mountain so easy I feel like I'm cheating. I looked pretty hard at pellet smokers too but with the digi Q I think I'm good for awhile. The best thing I've gotten lately is a Blackstone griddle. It's probably my favorite outdoor purchase in a long time. I can cook a whole pack of bacon and 16 pancakes at the same time in about 10 minutes from start to finish. Anything you would normally cook in a cast iron skillet comes out great. My wife loves it too, less mess to clean up in the kitchen.