• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwagner01
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jul 2019

1991 Prostar / Ilmor Repower

Since the 1985 19 Skier is done sans a few screws and a non-working fuel sender, it's time to get rolling on the next project. I'll finish up that hour of work sometime in the next 5 years.... maybe.

Mostly inspired by Dan Jawzz's 1985 Skier / Ilmor repower, I decided to take my favorite hull, the '91 - '94 Prostar 190, and make it a Zero Off controlled slalom tug. On top of a re-power, if all goes well, I'd like to make it a 25th Anniversary Stars and Stripes 190 clone, with an all white hull and blue metal-flake stripe.

I picked up the 2018 5.7L MV8 engine off a seller on Facebook with a few small issues, but it's been re-worked a bit and should (knock on wood) fire right up.

There are a few hurdles with this project, most of which I've figured out on paper, at least. Fuel pump, drive by wire throttle, engine cover, and instrumentation are the big ones. I'm using a fuel pump, throttle/shift control, and engine cover from a 2014+ Prostar. These engines use a CAN-bus to digitally send into to gauges or touchscreens, but I plan to install analog senders for oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, and a check engine light in case things go south.

There's a lot of wiring to be done but Ilmor sells a 35' long pigtail that comes out of the main engine harness, which takes care of a lot once connectors are put on. Zero Off is plugged into the CANbus and communicates with the engine ECU directly so that's pretty straight-forward.

I hope to update this thread somewhat regularly with progress and pictures, however it is ski season, my days are busy, we have a baby daughter, so progress may be slower than normal. My goal is to get the boat running with its new engine and tested before the ice this winter-- I think I can do it in 4 months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9462.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2475866
  • mikeg205
    MC Master Poster
    • Aug 2011

Awesome.

Cant wait for pics

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• Ironhorse
      MC Devotee
      • Apr 2010

Very cool project!!

Comment

• waterlogged882
        MC Master Poster
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by mwagner01 View Post
        Since the 1985 19 Skier is done sans a few screws and a non-working fuel sender, it's time to get rolling on the next project. I'll finish up that hour of work sometime in the next 5 years.... maybe.

Mostly inspired by Dan Jawzz's 1985 Skier / Ilmor repower, I decided to take my favorite hull, the '91 - '94 Prostar 190, and make it a Zero Off controlled slalom tug. On top of a re-power, if all goes well, I'd like to make it a 25th Anniversary Stars and Stripes 190 clone, with an all white hull and blue metal-flake stripe.

I picked up the 2018 5.7L MV8 engine off a seller on Facebook with a few small issues, but it's been re-worked a bit and should (knock on wood) fire right up.

There are a few hurdles with this project, most of which I've figured out on paper, at least. Fuel pump, drive by wire throttle, engine cover, and instrumentation are the big ones. I'm using a fuel pump, throttle/shift control, and engine cover from a 2014+ Prostar. These engines use a CAN-bus to digitally send into to gauges or touchscreens, but I plan to install analog senders for oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, and a check engine light in case things go south.

There's a lot of wiring to be done but Ilmor sells a 35' long pigtail that comes out of the main engine harness, which takes care of a lot once connectors are put on. Zero Off is plugged into the CANbus and communicates with the engine ECU directly so that's pretty straight-forward.

I hope to update this thread somewhat regularly with progress and pictures, however it is ski season, my days are busy, we have a baby daughter, so progress may be slower than normal. My goal is to get the boat running with its new engine and tested before the ice this winter-- I think I can do it in 4 months.
        You need counseling.

I patiently await...

...but could you hurry?

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-19-2021, 06:51 PM.
        93 190
        (safe click)
        John 14:6
        (safe click)

Comment

• mwagner01
          TT Enthusiast
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
          You need counseling.

I patiently await...

...but could you hurry?

Rather than pay a therapist I buy boat parts and it makes me happier than a licensed counselor ever could.. so, problem solved.

I’ll try not to test your patience on this one, I’m quite anxious to get it running.

Comment

• waterlogged882
            MC Master Poster
            • Dec 2004

Where did you find the 91 hull?

I have not seen that anywhere on the boards.

93 190
            (safe click)
            (safe click)

Comment

• mwagner01
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
              Where did you find the 91 hull?

I have not seen that anywhere on the boards.

I actually picked it up for a song last fall. We skied it a handful of times in November (in Michigan) and I hung it up for the year Thanksgiving day. I pulled the engine out over the winter before seeing this year‘s ridiculous prices. Should have kept it together and made $5k.. as always hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

• mwagner01
                TT Enthusiast
                • Jul 2019

Waterlogged… This project is especially funny because, like you, I am a big fan of the tried and true, all mechanical 351 powerplant. I’m inducing about 400 possible failure points into what was a bulletproof boat. At least this Vortec 350 is pretty common.

Comment

• ONTHECOAST
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2021

Therapist/boat parts, that's a no brainer. Looks like a cool project. What happened to the original motor? Also curious about issues with the new motor.

Comment

• mwagner01
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by ONTHECOAST View Post
                    Therapist/boat parts, that's a no brainer. Looks like a cool project. What happened to the original motor? Also curious about issues with the new motor.
                    Original motor was fine and went into a 1987 Prostar that had a blown engine, and that set up got sold. This particular Ilmor had some valves that stuck open and got bent. The best my engine guy can tell, the original machined tolerances were not right in the valve stems and guides. I’m hoping there or not larger underline issues, I guess I won’t know till I press the start button.

Comment

• Prostar 190
                      MC Fanatic
                      • Mar 2017

This is going to be a cool project.
                      1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
                      2008 Prostar 197 LY6

Comment

• mwagner01
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Jul 2019

Quick photo dump of the components I have so far.

I’m doing most of this build at my house with no lift or heavy equipment, so I purchased a foam engine block to locate the engine, trans, etc by hand. I need to make sure the trans mates up with the driveshaft with ease.

[ATTACH]205118[/ATTACH]

Deutsch connector assortment so I can make all the ends of the wires get along.

[ATTACH]205119[/ATTACH]

Zero Off. The real brains of the operation. I’m just here to help.

[ATTACH]205120[/ATTACH]

Throttle extension harness to (hopefully) connect the throttle to engine.

[ATTACH]205121[/ATTACH]

Ilmor 35’ engine extension harness. This will run to the helm and control ignition, start/stop, instrumentation, MIL, and connect to Zero Off as well.

[ATTACH]205122[/ATTACH]

Throttle from 2015 Prostar

[ATTACH]205123[/ATTACH]

Fuel pump from 2015 Prostar

[ATTACH]205124[/ATTACH]

Hurth 1.5:1 trans, so if I prop it right, this thing will be an absolute torque monster. Current Prostars are 1.26:1. Will have to find the right prop.
                        [ATTACH]205125[/ATTACH]

The best part about tonight: the first post-restoration ski behind the 1985 19 Skier. She runs like a top and it was all smiles all evening.

[ATTACH]205126[/ATTACH]

Comment

• waterlogged882
                          MC Master Poster
                          • Dec 2004

93 190
                          (safe click)
                          (safe click)

Comment

• 2RLAKE
                            MC Addict
                            • Jun 2007

this is going to be great ... I started looking into this as I had access to a 6.2 for my 93 Limited ... yes that would have been overpowered for sure!

Ilmor was very helpful on the harness I would need for the new gauges ... what are your plans for the throttle?

I'm as patient as waterlogged .... hurry up already!!!

Comment

• 88 PS190
                              MC Addict
                              • Aug 2005

Prop will be back at 14x18 might want a double tapered 1 1/8 shaft from elberts. If you have the old shaft measure it.

Comment

Working...
                              X