Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 10:23 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 x-80
Looking to get an X-80 or X-55

Iím new here, been reading this forum for a while though. Iíve been considering an x-80 for a while now, was going to buy one a few years ago and it got sold. Now another one has come up for sale locally. Itís a 2006 twin 350 boat with 200 hours on it. I havenít seen it in person yet, not sure what shape itís in. Iím in Canada and itís current price is 55,000 CAD (42,000 USD). I live on the ocean and there are also some lakes around here that I would take the boat to. So, once in a while, we would take it into the ocean where it would see some chop.
Most of the time we would go to a local lake. I do wakeboarding and also want to surf. Iím no pro at surfing. I have read some mixed reviews about the x-80ís ability to produce a good surf wake. I donít want to have to have bags full of water sitting on my seats or on the floor. Iím open to adding ballast to ski lockers and wherever else in the back, as long as they are hidden.

In another thread, some people were recommending an x-45 or x-55 instead of an x-80 for water sports. I found one of each of those around here also. Thereís a nice 2009 x-55 for sale with 132 hours on it and a Vortec 6.0 engine powering it. Boat is mint. The owner is form on the price of $68,000 CAD (51,000 USD). The owner tells me that the X-55 isnít that great for surfing, itís a better boat for Wakeboarding.

So, my question is which way I should go. I know the x-80 is going to cost more in maintenance and in fuel, since itís twin engine. But, it is currently much cheaper than the x-55. Iím fairly confident that I would be able to pick it up for 50,000 CAD or maybe even less. So, is the x-80 going to do all I want it to do or am I going to be disappointed?
Please chime in with your opinions. I want to get some real world experiences from actual owners.

I had a look at both boats today. The x-55 was absolutely mint, it looked brand new. Gel coat is nice, no scratches, dings or anything. Only has 132 hours on it. I would almost feel bad taking it into the ocean. It does have a hose adapter at the back for flushing it out, I assume?
The trailer was mint, barely ever used. The current owner says he's owned it for 7 years and put 65 hours on it in that time. The previous owner also put about 65 hours on it in the 3 years that he'd owned it.
The owner of the X-55 is pretty firm on his current price of $68,000 CAD (51,000 USD). It is a really nice boat, I just don't really know what it's currently worth. How much is a mint 2009 X-55 worth?

The x-80 was a little rough. The gel coat has a lot of stress fractures around the tower. The floor also had two cracks in it around the driver area. The owner was telling me that most MC's get that too. Anyone see that happen before on an X-80? It would be covered up by carpet, I just want to make sure its not a structural issue.

The outside has a couple not so great repairs to the fiberglass/gel coat. You can see the discoloration of where they fixed the dings from 30 feet away.
The rear seats are faded and according to the owner the black marks on them are due to the storage cover rubbing on them. That boat is mostly stored outside, so the red gel coat around the top is faded. So is the red bimini top.

I didn't get a chance to take it for a drive, still working out a price with the owner. By the way, the X-80 does not have the original MC trailer. It's sitting on another tri-axle trailer that it barely fits onto.

He is still asking $55,000 CAD for the boat, which I feel is too much for the condition that it's in. If neither boat's price changes, I feel that the X-55 is a better buy. If I can get the X-80 for under $50,000 CAD, it may be worth putting some money into it to fix the issues it has.

I've attached a couple photos for you guys to compare the two
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2019, 10:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
I have zero experience with either. You have posted a clear bias towards the 55, what reason would you go with the 80? Get the nicer boat with the single engine and read up on how to surf it even if you had to retrofit the gen2 tabs
Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 PM
TT Newbie

my biggest reason to go with the x-80 would be the price. If I can get it for $48,000 CAD, that would be $20,000 CAD savings over the x-55. Even if I spend $3-5,000 on refinishing the seats and the gel coat, it would still be much cheaper than the x-55. My question is, will the X-80 do everything the x-55 will do, as well as the x-55 will do it?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
I'd go with the X55. Better boat for boarding and surfing. And this one is in great condition. I'm not sure I'd buy the X80 if it were half the price they are asking. Looks worn and neglected.

This surf wave from an X55 looks pretty good to me: (it was posted by a member here years ago)

Name:  X55%252520surf2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  35.1 KB
Old 06-09-2019, 10:53 PM
TT Newbie

well sounds like the x-55 is getting sold to someone else. Apparently they offered 69k for it. much more than what I was willing to pay
Old 06-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proedge View Post
well sounds like the x-55 is getting sold to someone else. Apparently they offered 69k for it. much more than what I was willing to pay
If 69K Canadian is only 52K USD, that is a very good deal, IMO.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
The faded gel cooat above the rub rail is an easy fix with a drill and a polish/wax attachment for $10 (+ wax/polish/compound). The faded gel coat on any boat usually can be cleaned up to almost new if not new looking shine. I have the same red/white stripe over the rub raile and just polished mine up after being outside all last seadon and it came out great. The problem would be the bad gel coat repairs and if there are a ton of scratches. I have a black hull down to the waterline and after I cleaned it up and polish/waxed you cant really see any of the scratches it has from more than 10 feet away including a few of the longer ones that I need to get some time to fix or pay someone. That being said my 80 seems like it was one of the "well used" but taken care of boats. has imperfections but at 250 hours at the 12/13 year mark it was still very clean and taken care of. It sounds like the owner(s) of the one your looking at didn't want to be bothers by cleaning up the boat and keeping it in good condition for resale. I paid $57 USD for mine after an official appraisal came back good

My question is, will the X-80 do everything the x-55 will do, as well as the x-55 will do it?
Yes it will do everything and have much better control for it's size due to the twin screws. But the big input is that the 55 will surf/wake better overall by a decent amount. I would suggest working out a test ride with any x-80 and also with the x-55 so determined whether or not the 55 wake will make you want it over the 80's control and size bonus. Like I said in the x80 thread, I initially was regretting I got the 80 with the lack of ability is the surf/wake adjustments but after a few months I was very happy I got it over a smaller boat and figured out how to handle the wake for boarding and adjusting for surf to get it good enough for myself and family/friends to come out and have fun. It all hinges on how much quality sacrifice on the wake your willing to make for the other pros that the X-80 can give. So you really need to get a ride on one. If your interested in making a trip to Michigan I would take you out for a weekend on mine but that's a pretty long trip for you.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375

Last edited by CrashCourse316; 06-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Side note your pictures you provided solved a huge question I have had since I got the boat...On the port side of the bow there is that Metal cover looking thing that seems like a drain. When I looked under my cover it looked like someone crashed the boat into something and punched a hole through the hull. The fact that you picture has the same exact cover plate in the same location makes my thing its just some sort of design thing. I have water coming in that hole when I loaded up surf so I sealed it with silicon. I tried testing what drained to it and couldn't figure it out. It's above the water line by default so its not for any sort of sensor.

Oh also not sure about your Canadian rules but the X80 is technically a Yatch certified boat so you can cert it through coast gaurd and not have to have giant numbers posted on the outside in the states at least.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 07-01-2019, 01:14 AM
TT Newbie

Well the x-55 got sold and so did pretty much every other boat around here. Except for the x-80. Either no one wants to deal with a boat that big, or there is something else wrong with it that I’m missing. The owner is stuck at $53k CAD for it, won’t budge off that price. I offered him 50k CAD, he said he already has one other offer at that price.
Not sure what to do here. I don’t really want to end up getting stuck with it down the road. It’s peak season right now for boating and all the other boats are selling within days/weeks of posting. This one has been for sale for months now.

By the way, $53k CAD is just over $40k USD
Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 AM
TT Newbie

Some more photos of the x-80
Attached Images