Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-01-2021, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Prestolite Distributor 7808 Electronic Ignition Replacement

Hello all,

I'm just documenting this topic as my searches on the topic were not very fruitful and it caused me some confusion when I was trying to select the correct part number.

1993 ProStar with the non-HO 351W. Prestolite distributor with original electronic ignition module inside the distributor. Being original, I wanted to update it as well as the coil. So here are the details of my distributor.

There is a metal ID tag on the outside of the body. There were two ID codes:
F0JL12100CA (I think this is not a part number)
7808BS 2 H 8 (I think this is the actual model number)

I wanted a Pertronix Ignitor II. They have a catalog with a section on marine distributors but the 7808 is not listed. Where I ran into some confusion was that it seemed all Prestolite distributor model numbers start with a three letter alpha prefix, like "IDU-". But I'm 100% sure my distributor does not have such a prefix. Google searches for my model number yielded very little information, oddly. It made me think maybe this distributor wasn't widely used (but I have no idea.) In the Pertronix manual, they show the Ignitor II module I used having application for these two Prestolite distributors: IDU-7801, IDU-7802. But note that I couldn't find any reference to "7808" in the catalog.

I called Pertronix for help, but they were not very helpful. Some breadcrumbs led me to Skidim part: https://skidim.com/ignitor-ii-breakerless-ign-kit.html This is the Ignitor II 91589 that is the right part for my application. It is available other places as well. Also, the kit comes with plastic bushing that pushes onto the eight-point reluctor wheel inside the distributor housing. It was a tight fit and I had to use some gentle persuasion to push it down onto the wheel, but it got there in the end.

I also bought a Petronix 45011 Flame-Thrower II coil. I installed them over the winter and lake tested yesterday. Boat runs great. So now I have a spare original ignition module and coil that I'll keep in the boat should they be needed.

Hope this helps someone down the road. Some photos below of old and new.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf D1.pdf (455.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf D2.pdf (348.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf D3.pdf (444.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf D4.pdf (361.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 06:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
follow on

Hi there

Very interesting read on this , I am going through the same process , bit unsure on which is the correct pick up to get .
I will go to the lake today and try an get the numbers off the old distributor .

My PS is a 93 model but has the HO option , so do not know if there is a difference for this.
Also where did you but the parts from .

Rgds

Kevin
Old 05-16-2021, 07:51 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Hi there

Very interesting read on this , I am going through the same process , bit unsure on which is the correct pick up to get .
I will go to the lake today and try an get the numbers off the old distributor .

My PS is a 93 model but has the HO option , so do not know if there is a difference for this.

Rgds

Kevin
Summit Racing dot com

For your 93:

Ignition module - PNX - 91589 The new style looks different than the OEM. It's OK. It will fit. As a side note, if you want to retire the advance spring(s) in the OEM Prestolite distributor, put in an entire new Pertronix distributor (new module included with the assembly).

Coil - PNX-45111 epoxy filled coil (vs oil filled)

Spiral wound plug wires

For added umph! - Arco 70200 starter (marine parts source dot com has best pricing). Makes it all come together.

If you want the 100% make-over, a new Holley 4160 carburetor (Discount Inboard Marine).

Makes a world of difference with the full gambit.

2 Peter 1:38

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-16-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

follow on

many thanks , great help

rgds

Kevin

Last edited by Worthing skier; 05-16-2021 at 12:15 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 05-16-2021, 12:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Another question ,do you by any chance know the part number for the complete Pertronix distributor, maybe worth changing out the complete part .

Many thanks again

Kevin
Old 05-16-2021, 12:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

follow on

Hi there

Rgds

Kevin
Old 05-17-2021, 08:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Pertronix Distributor

Another question ,do you by any chance know the part number for the complete Pertronix distributor, maybe worth changing out the complete part .

Many thanks again

Kevin
Old 05-17-2021, 09:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 PS 205-285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post

Many thanks again

Kevin
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d231801

I have a 351W HO - 1992.
Best upgrade ever. Between a new 4160 carb and the new distributor it makes it feel like a brand new engine.

Edit: I have a brand new, unused module #91589 for $75 which includes shipping if you want it. I bought it as a spare to keep onboard. Late upgraded to new distributor and no longer need. PM or just reply on this thread if interested.

Last edited by d2jp; 05-17-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 PS 205-285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Summit Racing dot com

For your 93:

Ignition module - PNX - 91589 The new style looks different than the OEM. It's OK. It will fit. As a side note, if you want to retire the advance spring(s) in the OEM Prestolite distributor, put in an entire new Pertronix distributor (new module included with the assembly).

Coil - PNX-45111 epoxy filled coil (vs oil filled)

Spiral wound plug wires

For added umph! - Arco 70200 starter (marine parts source dot com has best pricing). Makes it all come together.

If you want the 100% make-over, a new Holley 4160 carburetor (Discount Inboard Marine).

Makes a world of difference with the full gambit.

Spiral Wound Wires: This is a nice set of Taylor 8MM wires. Inboard Online is Indmar's online parts division and the nice thing about these wires is they are the correct length. The wires from skidim are good quality, but really long.

https://inboardonline.com/spark-plug...rd-351-755007/
Old 05-17-2021, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Many thanks guys the part number this is a great help ,

I have already replaced the other HT parts and a new 4160 from Skidim .
So this should be thew icing on the cake

cheers chaps