Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 05-05-2021, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
My thoughts as well...I've never seen them park any new boats for sale, and not sure where they would? I guess Parkway has no interest in boat sales, but back in "the day" the entire property of what was then called Saunders Marina was covered with Chris-Craft, Boston Whaler, and many other boats and brands. I even bought a Sunfish sailboat from them in the late 70s when my dad worked there part time.

I would list order of popularity/numbers of "modern" boats w/ ballast (big 3 plus Moomba) on SML as:

1. Nautique, not even close.
2 & 3 tie between MC and Malibu with Moomba not far behind.

People I know that have purchased within last 5 years and/or looking to puchase bought:

1. Nautique by a wide margin
2. Moomba b/c of the value and dealer support (Webster like Nautique)
3. Malibu
No one I know has purchased or is considering an MC.

Overall (big 3 + Moomba) including older boats like my 205, 205V, Prostars, Maristars and modern boats...I would say MC is number one with Nautique close behind. I don't know who the MC dealer was in the 80's/90's/early 2000 but they must have done well. These older boats no longer need a dealer for warranty or service (in most cases).

Just my opinion....
Maybe true and my comment was really just a guess. I was definitely including old and new. I honestly don't see too many Moombas though. They are out there for sure, but I think I see more Centurions than Moombas (and both in relatively low numbers). I also think I see more new MCs than Malibus. It could also be related to where we boat. I am usually on the Blackwater side of the lake or down at Bull Run. I do see a lot of G's, but I see plenty of newer X23s, XTs, NXTs (more last year with the redesign). I don't see nearly as many new X-Stars as I see G's though. Nautique def has the flagship market on lock.

I am considering a new or slightly used boat. I wouldn't go with a Malibu (though the newer motors make them more of an option) or Nautique (just don't love the looks). MC was my original choice, but the dealer situation with Magnum kept me looking and this change isn't really going to change my mind, but maybe they will prove me wrong. I would say top of my list right now is Centurion/Supreme based on looks, stock ballast/wave quality, cost, and PCM engines/Nautique ownership. No dealer on the lake though. Moomba could get some consideration as a value pick and a good relationship with Webster from tritoon and jet skis, but I don't love the Raptor motors.

I think a lot of the MCs are owned by people who live in NC and buy them from the big dealers in their "home" areas, but that is just speculation.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft XT22
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

I know of 8 new 2018+ mastercrafts in the black water bull run area. I think most were purchased away from the lake but reside on it. Overall I donít know many people that were a fan of magnum. I doubt bridgewater will be any better. Use whoever for warranty work and do other maintenance yourself is my plan. So far my boat hasnít had one warranty claim fingers crossed it remains that way.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 PS 205-285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
Maybe true and my comment was really just a guess. I was definitely including old and new. I honestly don't see too many Moombas though. They are out there for sure, but I think I see more Centurions than Moombas (and both in relatively low numbers). I also think I see more new MCs than Malibus. It could also be related to where we boat. I am usually on the Blackwater side of the lake or down at Bull Run. I do see a lot of G's, but I see plenty of newer X23s, XTs, NXTs (more last year with the redesign). I don't see nearly as many new X-Stars as I see G's though. Nautique def has the flagship market on lock.

I am considering a new or slightly used boat. I wouldn't go with a Malibu (though the newer motors make them more of an option) or Nautique (just don't love the looks). MC was my original choice, but the dealer situation with Magnum kept me looking and this change isn't really going to change my mind, but maybe they will prove me wrong. I would say top of my list right now is Centurion/Supreme based on looks, stock ballast/wave quality, cost, and PCM engines/Nautique ownership. No dealer on the lake though. Moomba could get some consideration as a value pick and a good relationship with Webster from tritoon and jet skis, but I don't love the Raptor motors.

I think a lot of the MCs are owned by people who live in NC and buy them from the big dealers in their "home" areas, but that is just speculation.
That makes sense, and with Wakejunkies report of the number of new MCs - which are closer to NC, I bet they do come from dealers outside the market. Iím on the Lynchburg side of the lake, hence the number of Nautiques and Moombas. Owners talk, recommended their brand and Webster is closest.

My crewís number one priority is slalom so my 205 gets a workout. A good friend and hard core slalom skier just moved into Mariners and has an early 2000s Response Lxi. Nice to have someone to share the load. I put a lot of hours on my boat last year
Old 05-05-2021, 08:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
That makes sense, and with Wakejunkies report of the number of new MCs - which are closer to NC, I bet they do come from dealers outside the market. Iím on the Lynchburg side of the lake, hence the number of Nautiques and Moombas. Owners talk, recommended their brand and Webster is closest.

My crewís number one priority is slalom so my 205 gets a workout. A good friend and hard core slalom skier just moved into Mariners and has an early 2000s Response Lxi. Nice to have someone to share the load. I put a lot of hours on my boat last year
Where do you go for calm water?
Old 05-06-2021, 10:20 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Where do you go for calm water?
What?....tell you surf boat guys about our calm water
Totally joking-itís really more about when we go....lots of 30 minute before sunrise runs 5:30-6am on the weekends. I hate to be ďthat guyĒ with a loud boat on the water early Sat or Sun morning, but with COVID itís what we have to do. Where we ski is usually dictated by prevailing winds and wind in general. Iíve skied right by the mountain on glass but some days there are 2í white caps from wind right in front of my slip. We do surf a lot by the mountains in late evening. Sometimes we run over to the course to ski. A few of us work remote so weekday runs are a better bet and can usually get out before work, around 7 and get in a few. With all the wake boat regulation talk (which none of us agree with), even pulling skiers we have altered our routes as to not upset anyone. DDs turn on a dime and there are several coves we would run deep into at 34 mph and safely spin the boat way back in 10í or less water, skier hangs on and we keep rolling. Now we donít run as deep and the skier drops. We pull back, idle around and do another start, and make sure we always respect our distance from docks, boats etc.
After skiing we will surf later in the day-none of us are young, Iím the oldest 60, the youngest is 51. At some point we are all back on our sofas asleep haha.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
What?....tell you surf boat guys about our calm water

Totally joking-itís really more about when we go....lots of 30 minute before sunrise runs 5:30-6am on the weekends. I hate to be ďthat guyĒ with a loud boat on the water early Sat or Sun morning, but with COVID itís what we have to do. Where we ski is usually dictated by prevailing winds and wind in general. Iíve skied right by the mountain on glass but some days there are 2í white caps from wind right in front of my slip. We do surf a lot by the mountains in late evening. Sometimes we run over to the course to ski. A few of us work remote so weekday runs are a better bet and can usually get out before work, around 7 and get in a few. With all the wake boat regulation talk (which none of us agree with), even pulling skiers we have altered our routes as to not upset anyone. DDs turn on a dime and there are several coves we would run deep into at 34 mph and safely spin the boat way back in 10í or less water, skier hangs on and we keep rolling. Now we donít run as deep and the skier drops. We pull back, idle around and do another start, and make sure we always respect our distance from docks, boats etc.

After skiing we will surf later in the day-none of us are young, Iím the oldest 60, the youngest is 51. At some point we are all back on our sofas asleep haha.
Haha, I don't have a wakeboat (yet), but I enjoy skiing from time to time. Haven't slalomed since I was in my teens, but may try it again this summer. I like to wakeboard as well. Just any water sport is fun to me, so I try to do it all! Early mornings are not my friend though, haha.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 X22 / 2018 XT21 5500 (Sold) / 2015 NXT20 (Sold)
I am one of the new MasterCraft's wakejunkie mentioned in Bull Run. I see more MasterCrafts then any other brand with Nautiques second. I know of 2 new MC added over the winter. We need a good dealer. I heard that Bridgewater is adding a showroom but have not driven by to confirm.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:40 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Haha, I don't have a wakeboat (yet), but I enjoy skiing from time to time. Haven't slalomed since I was in my teens, but may try it again this summer. I like to wakeboard as well. Just any water sport is fun to me, so I try to do it all! Early mornings are not my friend though, haha.
Do to life getting in the way, I’ve only been out once or twice on my boat or buddies Response. We have dry and wet suits so tried to make the most of that warm weather a couple weeks ago.

Once June get here we will be living at SML most of the summer. Would love to give you a pull! My favorite new toy is an HO Hovercraft. It’s a slalom style ski that has the same surface area as tandem skis. Easy starts, ski it around 18mph and you can sleep late b/c it doesn’t need 5:30am glass to have fun on. We have slalom skis, wakeboards too.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 X22 / 2018 XT21 5500 (Sold) / 2015 NXT20 (Sold)
The owner of Magnum is trying to sell their 2018 50th anniversary addition XStar with only two hours on it. This is a great boat but not sure he will get the $219K he is asking.

https://www.facebook.com/MagnumBoati...59519780049201
Old 05-10-2021, 06:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT21LakeAnna View Post
The owner of Magnum is trying to sell their 2018 50th anniversary addition XStar with only two hours on it. This is a great boat but not sure he will get the $219K he is asking.

https://www.facebook.com/MagnumBoati...59519780049201
He has been asking that since he got it in 2018. It is now a three year old boat with no use on it. Good luck to him.