Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30
Maiden voyage of my new 2015 x30...not good

Clearly I should not own a boat. Doing the same thing as my 08 x30. Overheating after 10 minutes. Impeller replaced by dealer and nothing in strainer basket.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X2 (1986 MC Skier - SOLD)
Did you actually run it, or were you only at idle for ten minutes? Only ask because I've seen on several of these where the impeller won't prime without a short pump of the throttle in neutral to bring the RPM's up to help prime the pump. Especially if you start in a no wake zone and need to idle out for awhile. Shouldnt be needed, but I've seen it more than once.

Also, always possible they screwed up the impeller install.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2021, 04:25 PM
MC Devotee

They are coming this week to look at it. Once I got it back on the lift, dealer said let it idle and see what happens...hit 240 within 5 minutes.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
Ouch. 240. Good luck.
You dont by chance live on the sun and are boating in a 250+ degree lake? Just want to help rule things out....
Old 05-08-2021, 05:00 PM
MC Devotee

I wish it were that simple!!!!! I just have really sh!!!ty luck with boats apparently. And we ran this boat just fine when we test drove it last October. I'm hoping that maybe the impeller was put in incorrectly (although I'm not sure how that is possible) or it's a thermostat issue. Something simple regardless. Wish I could be out here when they come to look at it. I like watching what they do so i can take care of it the next time it happens...
Old 05-08-2021, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
They are coming this week to look at it. Once I got it back on the lift, dealer said let it idle and see what happens...hit 240 within 5 minutes.

Im confused? Did you run it on a lift above the water? That would make any non saltwater boat overheat immediately, I figure Im misunderstanding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2021, 06:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
You could put thermostat in boiling water to make sure it opens- could be stuck. Or could out put a new one in.
I used to do that in the spring since I had aluminum heads. Boat temp went up one year, did boiling water trick then all was good.
Would be a quick try / fix.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:36 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyas View Post
Im confused? Did you run it on a lift above the water? That would make any non saltwater boat overheat immediately, I figure Im misunderstanding this.

Hah! no! was on the lift but exhaust was underwater
Old 05-08-2021, 06:54 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskiboat View Post
You could put thermostat in boiling water to make sure it opens- could be stuck. Or could out put a new one in.
I used to do that in the spring since I had aluminum heads. Boat temp went up one year, did boiling water trick then all was good.
Would be a quick try / fix.
You confuse me with someone who knows where the thermostat is...or anything about an engine... But thank you. My worry also is there is a correct way to install a thermostat from what I have read recently...and I will certainly screw that up...
Old 05-09-2021, 09:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
Clearly I should not own a boat. Doing the same thing as my 08 x30. Overheating after 10 minutes. Impeller replaced by dealer and nothing in strainer basket.

Its not your luck or anything you did. **** happens when you own a boat. I always keep a back up impeller on board, because you never know what could happen and you dont want it to ruin your outing if you dont have a spare. Its not a easy job, but can been done if you take your time are reinstall another one, then you will know for sure that you have to look elsewhere for the problem. It could be a temp sensor or thermostat as others have suggested, but doubtful on a 2015 unless you have a bunch of hours on it. Hang in there, it will get resolved. Just remember to keep an extra of some key items. Extra impeller, prop, ball bearings and gauze pads.