Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-19-2021, 12:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: No
Ignition Spade tip broken

Any ideas what this spade tip would control?

The two wires joined by a screw were somewhat touching the broken spade when I noticed it.

1999 Maristar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2021, 01:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Hard to say without seeing the back of the ignition switch, but should be pretty easy to figure out when you turn the key. Is it a two position (off-on-start) or three position (acc-off-on-start) switch?

Two position switch:
Nothing happens in any position: Main battery power.
Gauges and accessories turn on, but no start: Starter solenoid power.
Engine turns over but no gauges: On power

Three position switch: Same as above, except the On position would turn on gauges + accessories and Acc would be accessories only. On your vintage, accessories generally are just the radio.

The single yellow wire makes me think it's the starter tab. New ignition switches are pretty cheap, only about $20 on Amazon.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Maristar 210
That's a Maristar dash and it probably has a 4 position switch. It looks just like mine. Acc-Off-On-Start. In the Acc position, the hour meter will not run. In the on position it will run.

The yellow wire is typically the starter.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Yeah, that's a remarkably difficult repair.
The panel that the ignition switch is installed in is held in with two wingnuts that might, or might not, be accessible from the back side. It's a painful experience trying to get your hand in there to loosen them.
The alternative is to remove the whole dash shroud. You have to remove the steering box, a wingnut under the dash and disconnect a bunch of connectors. Then you can lift the dash shroud off to access the ignition switch. Careful, on mine the hard plastic of the shroud was deteriorated, and would crack/break with little encouragement. I ended up having to reinforce various sections with fiberglass before I put it back. By the looks of your Temp gauge, you've already had to do this once. I'd offer you my old temp gauge that would at least match the others, but I just looked at it and the black bezel is half broken off.

Also note that a replacement switch needs to be short or it runs into that hack of a hole that Mastercraft had to cut in the fiberglass.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:30 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I would solder a pig tail to that broken spade go to a eyelet and put it all together with a screw.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:53 PM
TT Regular

I finally had some time to look at this a little more. It is the starter wire. The ignition is ACC- Off- On - Start. I assume that is a 4 position switch?

Thanks for the tips on how to repair.

I will let you know if I hit any trouble.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsatown View Post
I finally had some time to look at this a little more. It is the starter wire. The ignition is ACC- Off- On - Start. I assume that is a 4 position switch?

Yes

Thanks for the tips on how to repair.

I will let you know if I hit any trouble.

The easiest solution is to replace the switch for a common 4-post switch.

What 88PS said; You could solder a short pigtail (maybe 3"-4") wire to the stub then tie the connections (I use a small machine screw) onto a ring connector on the opposite end of the pig tail. Be sure and insulate or tape the connection(s) so they do not get against another post or ground and short out.

I use this switch. You can get them less expensive but this is a quality switch for the money.

Cole Hersee makes a good line of switches. Look for their M-712 4-post product.

Good switches aren't cheap and cheap switches aren't good.

2 Peter 1:3–8

Last edited by waterlogged882; 04-25-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:49 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
You could also technically take a jumper from the "run" position to a momentary push - one of those race car ones where you have to flip up the red cover and push the button.

Would be pretty fun for you know a few days maybe? Then probably a bit annoying and introduces "cranking it while running" problems.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
You could also technically take a jumper from the "run" position to a momentary push - one of those race car ones where you have to flip up the red cover and push the button.

Would be pretty fun for you know a few days maybe? Then probably a bit annoying and introduces "cranking it while running" problems.
That would then require him to install a quick-release collar on the steering wheel.

Attached Images

2 Peter 1:3–8
Old 05-02-2021, 01:26 PM
TT Regular

Thanks to everyone who responded, finally got this resolved. I ended up cutting the bottom cross member of fiberglass, it was already partially detached and didn’t seem to serve too much purpose at that point. That allowed for more space to work.