Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-04-2020, 12:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
JL Auidio M3-770 or M6-770

I was looking to replace my original tower speakers in my 2006 X15. I like the stock cans, so I just want to replace the speakers. My current speakers are working, but they don't seem to sound as strong and clear anymore. I added a dedicated M400 amp bridged to power them about 3 years ago, so I have good power going to them. I am after good clean sound for wakesurfing. I'm not worried about hearing the them at wakeboarding distance. (My wife barely let's me turn it up enough for wakesurfing!)

JL has the M3-770 and the M6-770 series with a $220 price difference on the pair. Anyone have any experience with these? Is the $220 worth it for the M6? Here is a link: https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...condition=true
Old 12-04-2020, 12:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
I was looking to replace my original tower speakers in my 2006 X15. I like the stock cans, so I just want to replace the speakers. My current speakers are working, but they don't seem to sound as strong and clear anymore. I added a dedicated M400 amp bridged to power them about 3 years ago, so I have good power going to them. I am after good clean sound for wakesurfing. I'm not worried about hearing the them at wakeboarding distance. (My wife barely let's me turn it up enough for wakesurfing!)

JL has the M3-770 and the M6-770 series with a $220 price difference on the pair. Anyone have any experience with these? Is the $220 worth it for the M6? Here is a link: https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...condition=true
The M6-770 would be the equivalent of your current M770 speakers. The M3-770 is the new equivalent of a lower tier speaker, the MX770. Most people recommend the M6 line, especially when used for tower speakers. I don't think it would be worth replacing your still-mostly-working M770 speakers with M3 speakers.

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications
www.chesnuttech.com
Old 12-04-2020, 02:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
Isn't there suppose to be special speakers for the tower speakers? I thought there was a closed baffle speaker design for the tower speakers.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:20 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Isn't there suppose to be special speakers for the tower speakers? I thought there was a closed baffle speaker design for the tower speakers.
I thought that too, but I couldn't find anything on the JL website about that. The user's manual for both types say they are designed to not be used in an enclosure. I emailed JL support and told them specifically that I wanted to replace my tower speakers and they suggested the M6 and didn't mention anything about any type being specific for installation in cans.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X2, 350 MCX
If you're looking for a 7.7 replacement the M3 or M6s will work just fine, bolt pattern will likely line up with your year model of cans (you probably have an external tweeter), and you'll have to run a few extra wires if you go with LEDs integration. For a few extra bucks I would go with M6s (better performance) with integrated LEDs and run a JL lighting controller or like LED controller. Then, you'll have music and your very own disco. You're biggest challenging won't be selecting a model it will be locating a supplier that has on hand stock. Everyone seems to be getting partial shipments of JL, and selection options will be limited.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
I thought that too, but I couldn't find anything on the JL website about that. The user's manual for both types say they are designed to not be used in an enclosure. I emailed JL support and told them specifically that I wanted to replace my tower speakers and they suggested the M6 and didn't mention anything about any type being specific for installation in cans.
The current M3 and M6 are intended for infinite baffle cabin speakers and not for small tower pods. I bet your original models have a "T" in the model, which indicates tower' They are tuned with a little different suspension, so to speak, for better performance in a small pod. The in-boat version is intended for a larger air space behind. This will have a slight impact on mid-bass, if you where to listen to one in a pod and one in an interior panel.

Given that you are retaining the old pods and just replacing the driver, its a moot point.

I would go with the M6 for its larger tweeter and 2nd order cross-over.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:54 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks everyone for the help.

MLA - You were right on about the mid-bass. I sent another email to JL about using the M6 in cans and this is the reply: "We tested them as dual purpose speakers, so we use them in pods ourselves. You do lose a bit of mid bass in pods, but they still do very well".

Boat is tucked in for the winter, so no hurry in buying these. Hopefully more stock will be in the pipeline after the 1st of the year.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X10, 2005,
Great info -thanks boys

Considering the cost and availability of new JL speakers which fit the existing cans, I am debating whether it's better just to replace the whole tower speaker with a cheaper option. Hoping someone can help with the pros and cons and a budget suggestion.
I am hoping to keep my original JL amp (e6450) and replace the dry rot speakers for a sufficient sound system.
I have '05 MC X-10 with stock speakers: 4 cabin plus 2 tower speakers plus sub.
fyi: ordered Bluetooth receiver (JL Audio MBT-RX) to connect to the amp directly and wondering what to do with the deck --hoping I can bypass it altogether.
TIA

AMP details:
6-Channel System Amplifier -- Marine Version of e6450
Item highlights
6-Channel System Amplifier • Absolute Symmetry Class AB Circuit • 75W RMS x 6 @ 2 • 150W RMS x 3 @ 4 (Bridged) • High and Low Level Inputs • Bass EQ (0/+6dB) • 3 Pair RCA Inputs • Adjustable Crossover • Adjustable Input Sensitivity
Old 04-26-2021, 02:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
I would look for a class D amplifier. Your call. I am no expert...far from it.

I am installing a JL XD series (6 channel 75W RMS X6) for a friend to run four cabins then bridge a sub off the last two channels.

2 Peter 1:38