Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-14-2021, 07:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X20 Ilmor 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
if its anything like the other screens ive seen mentioned on here, its using J1939 (super common commerical/marine/ag CAN spec) so it wouldnt take much work to have someone with a working setup log that traffic for you.

work backwards to implement from there on whatever screen physically fits.

some of the software tools are a little spendy for that, but it could be done.

possible that the smaller screens were cost cut to not have enough non volatile memory to even write these things to. so it may not be quite as simple as a software update. but it might!

Yes itís J1939 CAN bus but also NEMA2000 and on top of that some have an audio chip to support Premium Audio so not so straight forward. The generic Murphy PV780 could possibly work but the buttons are different and I donít know what would happen with Premium Audio integration. If we could only get our hands on replacement touch screens from Touch International...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloup101 View Post
Yes itís J1939 CAN bus but also NEMA2000 and on top of that some have an audio chip to support Premium Audio so not so straight forward. The generic Murphy PV780 could possibly work but the buttons are different and I donít know what would happen with Premium Audio integration. If we could only get our hands on replacement touch screens from Touch International...

when you say the pv780 could work, do you mean swapping out the screens or using the entire pv780 and downloading the software?
Old 04-14-2021, 08:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X20 Ilmor 6.0
Either options ďmightĒ be possible but someone would have to procure a PV780 to open it to see if screen assembly is the same, even if it is the same itís still very expensive compared to just buying a screen assembly. Running the MC software is probable but again very expensive compared to what should be a simple repair and would require a custom face plate to match button shape of PV780.

Maybe we should start a group to put pressure on MC/Murphy to offer repair services since failure rate seems high. They claim itís a non serviceable sealed unit but I was able to make myself a jig to carefully open them up with 0 damage. Itís sealed using normal marine black silicone.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloup101 View Post
Either options ďmightĒ be possible but someone would have to procure a PV780 to open it to see if screen assembly is the same, even if it is the same itís still very expensive compared to just buying a screen assembly. Running the MC software is probable but again very expensive compared to what should be a simple repair and would require a custom face plate to match button shape of PV780.

Maybe we should start a group to put pressure on MC/Murphy to offer repair services since failure rate seems high. They claim itís a non serviceable sealed unit but I was able to make myself a jig to carefully open them up with 0 damage. Itís sealed using normal marine black silicone.

I agree it should be repairable. I will hold on to the old one in hope of getting it repaired some day. For now I will just bite the bullet and buy a new one.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Hi, welcome to Best Buy, how can I help you?

Well, itís time for a new big screen TV. I have $4200 to spend. Show me whatcha got!

Hmmm, the only thing we have that costs that much these days is this 7Ē touchscreen. Shall I box it up for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2021, 06:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
Hi, welcome to Best Buy, how can I help you?

Well, itís time for a new big screen TV. I have $4200 to spend. Show me whatcha got!

Hmmm, the only thing we have that costs that much these days is this 7Ē touchscreen. Shall I box it up for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would you like the extended warranty for only 249?
Old 04-21-2021, 02:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X10
I have the 4.3" screen and I'm completely satisfied. It has auto launch and I can adjust speed on the fly while using factory rider profiles. Long-term I feel the smaller screen is less of a liability, but only time will tell.

I have owned three boats with the 7" screen '14 X25, '16 X30 and '17 XT23. Given the option, of course I would select the larger screen, but I wouldn't pay $10k more for it.