Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-05-2021, 10:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 19nxt22
Does my boat need 1 of the batteries to be deep cycle

2019 nxt 22 with 8 speaker system and amp and sub. I just noticed that my boat has two cranking batteries when I opened the battery boxes for the first time. Do I need to replace one of these batteries with a deep cycle? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
So depends how they're wired. Often the batteries aren't wired as a completely separate starting vs. accessory deep cycle battery and if the radio is all powered of accessory switches off the main power harness you really don't have them separated.

Consider a fishing boat with a starting battery wired to the ignition switch that literally only starts the engine. And then it has a separate 1-3 deep cycle batteries wired to all the stereo, bait well, depth finder, trolling motors etc. The charging is all then set with a battery charging relay. In this case you'd clearly want to use deep cycle on all that load and a cranking battery would clearly be better for the starting.

But if you have two batteries that go to a battery selector switch and then from there they share the wiring to the ignition switch.... I'd just stick with the two cranking batteries and if you keep draining them down and they go bad I'd go with two deep cycles - which will still start the boat.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2021 XT21 6.0MPI
I agree with what 88 PS190 said. If you are worried about play time of your stereo while sitting in party cove, then you should concern yourself with the amp hour rating of the battery and not its starting ability (CCA). There is a formula you can use to calculate the watts of output you are using (keep in mind the watt rating of your amp is max capacity and isn't what you are using while listening at a reasonable volume) and convert it to amps. Then you can divide the amp hour rating on the battery to know how long you can technically play the stereo before you drain the battery. For example...if you are running 500 watts of power off 12 volts that's 41.7 amps. If you have a group 24 Interstate battery I think the amp hours are something like 81. Therefore you could run your stereo making 500 watts (which is a lot) for 2 hours.

With that said, my 2021 XT21 has 2 deep cycle marine batteries, but they are tied into the entire system and not separated engine/house so....back to what 88 PS190 said.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X2 (1986 MC Skier - SOLD)
For what its worth, my new to me last spring X2 had two starting batteries as well, and ran the stereo just fine for extended periods last summer. I actually thought the house was a deep cycle, but realized it wasn't when I pulled it last fall.

Unsure of exactly how old/new the batteries were, I replaced both this spring and went with marine dual purpose.... deka, odyssey, and others make them. They aren't as good as either specifically at what they do, but they provide the benefit of higher CCA than a standard deep cycle while still letting you repeatedly discharge the battery "deeper" into the cycle without causing issues like is possible with a starting battery. Time will tell with this boat, but I've used them with great success in this application on other boats where I wanted two matching batteries, that would also reliably serve both functions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
If you spend long hours most ever weekend at anchor playing the tunes, then a deep-cycle is a better battery for the job. If you spend a few hours at anchor at a very moderate volume level, then a standard cranking will do fine.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
If you spend long hours most ever weekend at anchor playing the tunes, then a deep-cycle is a better battery for the job. If you spend a few hours at anchor at a very moderate volume level, then a standard cranking will do fine.
To the original poster; ^ ^ this

To the original poster; I'd also recommend installing an automatic charging relay to resolve any doubt.

Run the engine, both batteries are being charged (combined into one bank).

Stop and switch to Accessory position, batteries are isolated (by the open relay), using only the house battery for powering the amp, head, etc.

Done deal. Maybe I missed this already stated above.

I use a deep cycle group 31 for accessories and a standard group 24 for starting.

The comfort of knowing I have a start battery when I need to start, is worth the effort for the dual battery setup. Look for the Blue Sea add a battery kit on Scamazon.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 05-06-2021, 10:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Does the NXT line not use the same blue sea DCP switch and BEP VSR like on the Mastercrafts?