Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-17-2018, 08:25 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: Boatless
I am circling back to put in a plug for this thread. After a two season upgrade, I finally have everything in and working. A huge thanks to Jeff for starting this thread and sharing his knowledge. I followed Jeff's instructions to the lettering and had no issues.

I ordered the Chesapeake Faria gauge white set which you can find on Amazon.
I went ahead and got the GPS speedometer which works great and compliments my PerfectPass.
I got a matching hour meter.
Lastly, I also bought a Faria depth finder with thru-hull transducer.

Issues I had were the fuel sending unit. I reached out to Joel from Centroid ([email protected]) and he and Mary were able to hook me up with a new sending unit. You will need some info on your new gauge and the current fuel sending unit (I sent pictures and a web link). They made me a new sending unit and had it to me in about a week. For the first time in a decade, my fuel gauge works properly!!!

The only thing I have not solver is the loss of the "actual" hours on the hour meter. I noted what my hours were when I took the old unit out and just add.

**Picture is recent when I was replacing carpet**
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X45, 8.1L
That's awesome. What about the water and air temp and also engine warning light that were all in the digit gauge of the old MMDC system? I'm doing this in the fall for sure...
Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM
MC Platinum

My warning light works fine. The alarms are controlled by the ECM and not to be confused with the MMDC. My PerfectPass tells me the water temperature. In fact, I never had air or water temperature via the OEM gauges.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Maristar 230VRS
Jeff

I don't know if you still receive messages related to this thread, but I wanted to thank you for the detail. I just completed this changeover as well and it went great except for the fuel gauge and this is what I found out from Centroid:

The sender we make for Mastercraft MDC has a special output that wont drive a different gauge correctly. You'd need a sender that matches the ohms range of the gauge you bought. What brand__Faria_____ and ohms range E=___________ F=____________ is the new gauge you bought?

I got the specs from Faria and sent them to Centroid and this was their reply to that:

Yes, good, that's what I was expecting, E240/F33 ohms.

You'd need to get our sender with E240/F33 ohm output, then. You can call Mary at 386-423-3574 between 8a-2p EST Mon/THU. She'll ask you the length of the sender from the bottom of the head to the end of the tube. Probably your harness has a 3-pin connector so for best convenience you'd tell her you need an "MP3" connector rather than the usual screw terminal connections.

Long story short, anyone that does the Medallion change out will have to replace the fuel sender.

I also have a 2000 Maristar 230 VRS. Is your fuel tank capacity 60 gallons? Also, do you remember what the length of your fuel sender was/is?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 12:20 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartmatt View Post
Jeff

I don't know if you still receive messages related to this thread, but I wanted to thank you for the detail. I just completed this changeover as well and it went great except for the fuel gauge and this is what I found out from Centroid:

The sender we make for Mastercraft MDC has a special output that wont drive a different gauge correctly. You'd need a sender that matches the ohms range of the gauge you bought. What brand__Faria_____ and ohms range E=___________ F=____________ is the new gauge you bought?

I got the specs from Faria and sent them to Centroid and this was their reply to that:

Yes, good, that's what I was expecting, E240/F33 ohms.

You'd need to get our sender with E240/F33 ohm output, then. You can call Mary at 386-423-3574 between 8a-2p EST Mon/THU. She'll ask you the length of the sender from the bottom of the head to the end of the tube. Probably your harness has a 3-pin connector so for best convenience you'd tell her you need an "MP3" connector rather than the usual screw terminal connections.

Long story short, anyone that does the Medallion change out will have to replace the fuel sender.

I also have a 2000 Maristar 230 VRS. Is your fuel tank capacity 60 gallons? Also, do you remember what the length of your fuel sender was/is?

Thanks
I just went through this on my 2000 PS 205. I put in a Faria fuel gauge. I traded some emails with Joel and got on the phone with Mary (a very delightful and helpful lady). She got me all setup. About a week later the sender arrived. A few bolts and a plug and voila...it works.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Maristar 230VRS
Just got done speaking with Mary and got the sender ordered. She is awesome and now I will anxiously await the sender so that I can wrap up this project and get back to what I'm best at, being on the water with a cold beverage.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 205v ltr
2000 205v

I am looking to do this on my 2000 205v. I am comfortable with the principal but am confused by the image that shows the two pigtails off of the MDC. On my boat I have the two plugs into the MDC as shown in this image, but do not see the two plugs referenced in the opening images of this thread. Can anyone help to clarify? Can I just splice at the MDC plugs ?
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS
It really does not matter. The signals into the MMDC are all analog. Just match color/signal to the correct gauge and you are good. The fuel sender is the biggest issue and Joel at Centroid is the go to person for that. I did this to my 2001 Maristar 2+ years ago and haven't looked back.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Every new post in this thread gets me closer to doing this on my '01 X9.
It looks like the Faria sets that most are using (Kronos or Chesapeake) do not have an hourmeter in the tach. What are you guys doing for an hourmeter? I was thinking I might replace the clock with a standalone hourmeter from the same Faria series.

Edit: Looks like Faria does't offer the GPS speedo in the Kronos series, so have to go Chesapeake.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 205v ltr
I am using hours and GPS spedo on perfect pass, so I am going with Kronos. I also have 3' stereo remote so will actually not use the gauge set spedo at all.

For Jchance: Thank you for the clarification. So that I am clear, the inputs are spread across the two plugs, correct? i just want to make sure that it is not one side in and the other out.