Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-22-2019, 04:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
Contacted Joel and will need a new sending as stated by all here. Still need to call Mary though. Anyone know what the unit will cost from them these days and will this one work as an alternative source:

https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Marin...8-4&th=1&psc=1

Also still womdering about the constant 12V wiring needed for the GPS speedometer.

Thanks!
Ordered the new sending unit through Mary today. Mine was $73 plus shipping TBD. Will take a couple of weeks to get at this point, so I'll just need to watch my tank for now
Old 04-23-2019, 08:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar, 230 VRS, 2000, LT Corvette
Very nice work. Where did you locate the factory MC wiring information such as the tach, temp, volt etc. wires.?? Did you find a wiring diagram somewhere?
I want to first try and re-vitalize my existing set up. I really like your gauge set though. Simple to trouble shoot!!
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewopwd52 View Post
Very nice work. Where did you locate the factory MC wiring information such as the tach, temp, volt etc. wires.?? Did you find a wiring diagram somewhere?
I want to first try and re-vitalize my existing set up. I really like your gauge set though. Simple to trouble shoot!!
Those signal wires are listed early in this tutorial (first page with pictures shown) and matched with my boat too. Just take your time and it goes pretty well overall.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
Ordered the new sending unit through Mary today. Mine was $73 plus shipping TBD. Will take a couple of weeks to get at this point, so I'll just need to watch my tank for now
Sending unit showed up yesterday (much earlier than expected), but was a blizzard here! Maybe next week will get better
Old 05-13-2019, 08:47 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Sportstar, 1999,Vortec 5.7
First of all thank you for the write up! I just did the Faria 6 gauge MDC delete on my 1999 Sportstar. I still need another speedometer if anyone is not using the on that came with the set. My instrument cluster had 2. I have hooked everything up and all the gauges seem to work as expected. Now I finally know the temperature of the engine.

Last edited by rjwilson; 05-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
Well, I finally tackled this on my 02 Star. First, thanks to JeffD for his work in documenting the process and second, thanks to the additional contributors.

I'll see if I can add any value to this thread.
I went with Faria gauges that came with the GPS speedo. The GPS speedo requires a constant 12v and a switched 12v. Coming out of the MMDC 24 pin connector, there is a red and a red with black stripe. The red is switched and the the red with black stripe is where I picked up the constant 12v. I picked up the grey wire for the tach off of the PerfectPass. There was enough wire stuffed behind the kick panel that I was able to pull it through and tap in to the wire. I did have to install an new temp sending unit and run a dedicated wire, the analog gauges will not work with the two wire sending unit found on our motors.

Only thing left for me is a new fuel sending unit and then it will be complete.
Would you have any idea what tempt sending unit you went with?

Iím working on an Ď02 X-Star right now.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star, Indmar LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
Would you have any idea what tempt sending unit you went with?

Iím working on an Ď02 X-Star right now.
Used this on my 02 Sierra International TS26631 240 Degree Marine Temperature Sender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBUR86..._eyD6CbD3TMYA5
Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Dominator View Post
Used this on my 02 Sierra International TS26631 240 Degree Marine Temperature Sender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBUR86..._eyD6CbD3TMYA5
Excellent. Thank you.

Did you run into issues with the swap other than what is been noted in this thread?
Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star, Indmar LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
Excellent. Thank you.

Did you run into issues with the swap other than what is been noted in this thread?
Nope.

If you assume you are running new senders for every gauge, you shouldnít run into problems. I used the open water jacket port opposite the factory sender for the new Sierra unit.

D2
Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Maristar 230VRS---350MCX
I thought Iíd add a little something. I have a 2003 Maristar with a bad fuel gauge that Iíve been putting off dealing with for quite some time. The other day I was doing some work on my heater and I took the kick panel out by the drivers feet. Once thatís out, you can slide your body way further into the boat and sit up higher. You can see the back of all the gauges and all the little wing nuts you need to take off to get the dash panel out. Itís way better than feeling around blind for everything. I was able to reach right in and replace my fuel gauge without having to pull the panel out. Hopefully this helps someone.