Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Where did you find the color codes for MDC input such that you knew how to fan out to appropriate guages?

If I did the same, would likely go to GPS speedometer.

Very cool how-to that will benefit many.

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I found the wire colors in the MDC troubleshooting guide. It's covered in the other thread I linked in the OP.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19 Skier
We bought our '01 in 2007. In 2008 I had to replace the MDC box because I didn't know anything about "winterizing" it, and it was damaged by water from the speedo tubes. A couple of years later I had to replace the oil pressure gauge. Last season I was having issues with both the fuel gauge and the voltage gauge. It was probably the fuel gauge causing issues with the volt gauge...but hard to troubleshoot.

Anyway, followed Jeff's lead this weekend and replaced the entire set with analog gauges. I got the Faria gauge set shipped for about $130. Since I had an open spot where the "blank gauge" was, I added a Faria depth gauge while I was at it. All are working well. Thanks to Jeff for the great how-to write-up.

For anyone still dealing with Medallion, I have gauges for sale. All gauges are working fine, except for fuel and voltage...not sure about them.
Attached Images

Last edited by ProStar Slalom; 06-22-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:53 PM
MC Devotee

Noice! Did you have to replace the fuel level sender or did the original one work? I never definitely determined if my oe sender was bad or just non-standard/not compatible.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19 Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Noice! Did you have to replace the fuel level sender or did the original one work? I never definitely determined if my oe sender was bad or just non-standard/not compatible.
Jeff, my sender was bad as well. I assume the bad sender made for a bad signal to the fuel gauge...and for whatever reason was causing the voltage gauge to read bad as well. You can see on the medallion gauges that neither fuel nor voltage gauges would reset. Glad I'm done with them, and thanks again!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:10 PM
MC Devotee

Did you use an OE 3 wire solid state sender or a 2 wire mechanical sender?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar Slalom View Post
We bought our '01 in 2007. In 2008 I had to replace the MDC box because I didn't know anything about "winterizing" it, and it was damaged by water from the speedo tubes. A couple of years later I had to replace the oil pressure gauge. Last season I was having issues with both the fuel gauge and the voltage gauge. It was probably the fuel gauge causing issues with the volt gauge...but hard to troubleshoot.

Anyway, followed Jeff's lead this weekend and replaced the entire set with analog gauges. I got the Faria gauge set shipped for about $130. Since I had an open spot where the "blank gauge" was, I added a Faria depth gauge while I was at it. All are working well. Thanks to Jeff for the great how-to write-up.

For anyone still dealing with Medallion, I have an MDC and gauges for sale. The MDC is fine, and has never had speedo tubes attached since I was worried about water damage. All gauges are working fine, except for fuel and voltage...not sure about them.
How much do you want for the MDC? Mine works fine, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have a spare.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Not currently in a MC
Jeff D, great write-up. Not sure if I'm ready to tackle this yet as most of my gauges work, but do you still have your original tach? If so I may be interested if the part number matches mine.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
Jeff D, great write-up. Not sure if I'm ready to tackle this yet as most of my gauges work, but do you still have your original tach? If so I may be interested if the part number matches mine.
I have it but I wouldn't bother with it as it was one of the gauges that I had erratic behavior with.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Not currently in a MC
10-4, thanks

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S