Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-20-2015, 07:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
so what does the MDC actually do, besides cause issues for most people. And if you remove the MDC, what functions will you lose? I have a bad speedometer and a bad fuel gauge, but strangely enough the speed on the PP works fine. Thinking about making the switch with Jeff Ds nice writeup.

Last edited by paintpollz; 07-20-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
It converts the standard variable resistance signals from the senders to a proprietary electronic bus signal to be processed by proprietary gauges. You don't lose any functionality if you replace the gauges with those that offer the same features of your existing gauges. I lost my tach hour meter in the process because I didn't want to spend the extra money to get a tach with an hour meter. I instead use the hour meter on my perfect pass (buried in the menus but it's there).
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
It converts the standard variable resistance signals from the senders to a proprietary electronic bus signal to be processed by proprietary gauges. You don't lose any functionality if you replace the gauges with those that offer the same features of your existing gauges. I lost my tach hour meter in the process because I didn't want to spend the extra money to get a tach with an hour meter. I instead use the hour meter on my perfect pass (buried in the menus but it's there).
thank you jeff.

do you happen to know if my speedo will be plug and play with this? it shares the paddle wheel pickup with the PP. I'm assuming its just another harness to clip off behind the dash but I would like to double check. The reason why I'm contemplating this is my current regular speedo doesnt work, but my PP one does, not sure why. As you stated before its not really needed if you have the PP, but it just bugs the hell out of me that it is there and doesn't work. the fuel gauge is also funky and I know the sender is good, so I'm assuming my MDC is on its way out.

If all I have to do is order the gauges and new fuel sender, I think this is a great $250 fix and I'll be able to sleep knowing I've gotten rid of that MDC.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I'm not sure on the paddle wheel. Does it currently go through the MDC? You'll have to get a paddle wheel compatible speedometer for sure since the ones included in most gauge sets are pitot pickup which work off water pressure rather than electrical impulses.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
I'm not sure on the paddle wheel. Does it currently go through the MDC? You'll have to get a paddle wheel compatible speedometer for sure since the ones included in most gauge sets are pitot pickup which work off water pressure rather than electrical impulses.
not sure if it goes thru the MDC. maybe someone else can chime in on that. I only assumed so because in your thread you mention a speedometer wire that you didn't use, obviously because you are running a GPS system. So my assumption was that wire was used on my system for both the PP and the regular speedo.

I'm willing to do this on a Saturday once the fall hits and document in this thread. Just trying to gather the BOM at the most reasonable cost.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 PM
MC Devotee

anyone know of an electronic speedo gauge for us paddle wheel guys? just cough up the $99 for the faria GPS one?

also, does anyone know if the factory paddle wheel speedo runs thru the MDC? I'm thinking it does since my PP gauge works (assuming it doesn't run thru the MDC) and the factory electronic speedo doesn't.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
Hi Neighbor, I'm in South Windsor. Your speedo failure probably is not mmdc related. My boat bought used had one not working and I had one delivered bad after the box was dropped. Have you unplugged and plugs the connection at the speedo.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
Hi Neighbor, I'm in South Windsor. Your speedo failure probably is not mmdc related. My boat bought used had one not working and I had one delivered bad after the box was dropped. Have you unplugged and plugs the connection at the speedo.
Hello there! negative on the unplugging and plugging. What is the purpose of unplugging the speedo? I'm assuming the connection to the speedo is fine although i admit i have not checked. It gauge sweeps and lights up, so I have no reason to believe that the connections are bad. That is why I was assuming that it was the signal that is coming out of the MMDC and not corrosion. I'm also assuming that the gauge actually does get a signal from the MMDC......

to be honest I don't even know how the speedo gauge works on this. I've been trying to figure this out for a while but no one seems to chime in.

Can someone on this forum confirm that the speedo gauge gets the signal from the MMDC? Because I know the PP picks up the signal direct from the same paddle wheel.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

If you remind me in case I forget I believe I have a spare speedo that I know works. I would be willing to let you borrow it to test with some collateral since I don't know you. My spares are in the Berkshires and I only go there on weekends. As for the connection I assumed you might have a bad wire in, there are 4, or maybe one pin is corroded . When I was having gauge issues Medallion sent me an MMDC troubleshoot procedure. You are welcome to it if you email me.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 PM
MC Devotee

What does gauge sweep mean/ Mine does not move on start up, either one. What is your failure mode? Not reading at all? Did it ever work?