• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moosehead
    MC Maniac
    • May 2015

MC X-Boat Options Feedback?

We are looking close at a new X22 and wanted to please ask fellow TT’ers for your feedback on a few options, including:

Dual Screens vs Analog Gauges w/ 7” screen

Advanced vs Premium Audio

Cool Feel vs Odessa

I know we have covered this ground but figured you guys wouldn’t mind retreading in January. All commentary welcome.

Thanks for the indulgence. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • bturner2
    MC Addict
    • Mar 2008

I noticed a lot of stock boats at the boat show this year with the gauges. The salesman said there was a trend back towards gauges and that it took a couple grand off the price of the boat. I can certainly see the attraction of both depending on your boating skill level, how long you plan to keep the boat and your budget.

From what I've read on the forums the screens can go from $3k - $7K to replace and it would appear they do go bad. If you're a 3 and out owner the warranty should get you through any replacement concerns however I do see this coming back to haunt the secondary market in the next 3 - 5 years. I know when I went looking for my latest boat I was very hesitant to move to a display equipped boat. I've also battled with the display system on a 2012 X2 and while this system has a know flaw, similar difficulties are just a marginal ground, chafed or loose wire away in any of these systems. Even worse it would appear that since everything is so integrated upgrades to the stereo or any other subsystem can be greatly complicated these "all in one" control systems.

In regard to advanced versus premium audio. As stated above post audio upgrades with the current system sound near impossible without considerable expense. From what I'm reading you pretty much end up with an all or nothing decision to make. If you're into audio you either need to buy it all integrated and live with that system or buy none of it, install your own and deal with a system that is not integrated into the display system.

Comment

• MC25
      MC Master Poster
      • Nov 2007

After going through the process again, there were a few options I did want and a few that I didn’t.

The 7” screen was something I was adamant about having. I like the look, less to break. Cheaper.
      That being said, if you are an audio guy, you’ll want the premium audio package with the dual subs and dash speakers. The advanced audio that comes with the 7” screen is absolutely lackluster. But, you can’t get an audio delete anymore with the 7” screen, which I would’ve rather had at the point. I added wetsounds amps, wetsounds tower speakers and 2 JL 12w6 subs, so you can hardly hear the klipsch over it anyways. It is definitely possible to add aftermarket, and retain zone control. Eecyclone on here is your go to man if you want to go that route.

Fast fill ballast for us has been awesome. Ballast is full before we’re even out of our cove.
      Cool feel tan is sweet. Cool feel for you up north wouldn’t be of much benefit.
      Definitely get the Ilmor 6000
      Still hate the BTS windshield. Although our boat is sexy, Texas winters can get “cold” and it doesn’t do much for protection. Again, most prefer this option.

The used market would more than likely prefer dual screens and coolfeel, so take that for what it’s worth. We usually get a new boat every 3 years, so I guess I’ll find out how the 7” screen does.
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• hunter991
        MC Fanatic
        • Jul 2016

screens do scare me a bit. Friend with a malibu lost his screens and ended up dead in the water. Think he had about 5000lbs of ballast on board and wasn't about to get that on his trailer. The longevity of the screens is a concern. They are in a wet and sunny environment all the time. Electronics are suspect in that kind of environment.

I loved my X2 gauges and they worked just fine. my new boat has a screen but everything is backed up with a switch so if the screen dies i am still good.

Comment

• Byrdman
          TT Regular
          • Jan 2020

IMO, more things to go wrong later down the road, but I keep my boats a long time. But I also agree that all those shiny things are nice to have. If this is your forever boat, I would get the less fancy items. If you are going to be turning over the boat with a new one every few years and staying under warranty, get the bling!

My boat is 15 years old now and many parts are hard to find or discontinued. I dont blame MC entirely because they cant keep everything on the shelf, but they could do a better job helping us older MC's owners out considering this is the digital age. Skin patterns, part numbers for outsourced parts, etc should all be online or in a database for owners to have access to, but they are not and you have to do all the work yourself. Keep this in mind when you make your final decision. Once your model has been discontinued, you are on your own after a while.

BTW, I surfed and wakeboarded behind a 2019 X22 a few weeks ago and it was loaded and super nice. When I got back in mine, it made if feel like I was driving an antique.

Comment

• maniacmikes
            MC Devotee
            • May 2014

Moose,

making a similar jump last year, I think you have some valid concerns.
            1) I am not familiar with the functionality of the new 7" screen. I am not going to assume it is exactly the same (functionally) as the screens we had in our X30's. The two big things in my mind - can you still adjust stereo zone volume if you have the 7" screen? and can you save over stock profiles, or save new profiles with the 7"? The 7" screen has been used for some time now, which means it is more common, and it has a proven track record. 800 hours on my X30 with no screen issues, so I think it is as good as a screen as you will get. I will admit, I didn't really want dual screens with my new boat, I really don't like using touch screens to control things like the volume and the lights...but I will say, now that I have it, it is actually very user friendly (pretty much every function you want is only two touches, and most are only one) and it is 1,000% better than I thought it would be. Bottom line, is that if the 7" has all the functionality you want, go with it.

2) my understanding is that if you want premium audio, you need the dual screens. I have the premium audio, and while it is fine for me (I usually have the baby in the boat, so I'm not bumping loud music) anything less would honestly be disappointing, even by my low standards. I guess I like feel premium audio (or something aftermarket) is the bare minimum acceptable. If you go with the 7" screen and advanced audio, I would factor in the price of upgrading the stereo (which can be done).

3) Cool feel- I don't love it, but I don't hate it. It absolutely works. but I find when the textured surface gets dirty, it is harder to clean and the material does not feel as robust, so I am not as confident scrubbing it with a brush like I would do on the X30. I don't think it is going to have the longevity of the old stuff. Living up north, it just isn't that big of a deal.

To Erics point, I think resale might be a factor. Assuming that coolfeel and the screens hold up well over time, people are going to want those, but there is also the chance (a small chance admittedly) that those things don't hold up and then become one of those things that people try to stay away from when purchasing.
            The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

• stuartjr
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jul 2016

And don't forget the warranty on the screens dropped to three years beginning with 2020 models.

Comment

• XT21LakeAnna
                MC Fanatic
                • Apr 2015

I had the dual screens in my 2018 XT21 and thought about going 7 inch in the X22 but after playing with it I could get over how nice the dual screens are. Just little things, like having the water temp and death front and center.

I went with premium plus stereo and couldn't be happier. I had premium in the XT21 and it was OK but the plus with additional 2 speakers in cockpit and 2 additional tower speaker is fantastic.

I went with black interior so cool feel was a must.

Fast fill is FAST!

Comment

• moosehead
                  MC Maniac
                  • May 2015

Thanks fellas, was hoping for exactly this input.

The Admiral really loved the rear view camera with dual screen view, though the Terminator mirror is impressive too. Have yet to see the maps view but sounds sharp on the dual.

You are correct MM, the premium audio with second sub and dash speakers is packaged with the dual screens. We have both the small and large touchscreen in our 15’s, both are excellent and have been foolproof for us.

As a northerner, I personally prefer the Odessa for reasons mentioned In posts above but have yet to see any other colors beyond white or light grey. 440’s temp reading comparisons on the various skins was a huge help.

Would like to believe this is our last forever boat but have been guilty of saying that before. Doh!

Comment

• eecyclone
                    MC Devotee
                    • Oct 2014

The difference between advanced audio and premium audio isn't that big- 2 extra 7" speakers on the dash, an extra 11" sub, and a different amp configuration come with the premium audio package. The bigger difference between those packages is obviously the dual screens. If you decide you prefer the 7" screen or want to save money, you can always add on to the Klipsch system. A lot of people also upgrade the premium audio system as well or want to add different tower speakers. I've done a lot of research on upgrading the stereos and it's not as difficult as a lot of people have heard. If you need any help, feel free to send me a PM.
                    '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
                    (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
                    '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
                    www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

• maniacmikes
                      MC Devotee
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
                      We are looking close at a new X22 and wanted to please ask fellow TT’ers for your feedback on a few options, including:

Dual Screens vs Analog Gauges w/ 7” screen

Advanced vs Premium Audio

Cool Feel vs Odessa

I know we have covered this ground but figured you guys wouldn’t mind retreading in January. All commentary welcome.

you might like this one:

Thanks for the indulgence. Cheers.

The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

• moosehead
                        MC Maniac
                        • May 2015

^Nice. We spent more time than I figured on the X24's, the Admiral loved them at the CO show. Your X24 outing pics made the wave look massive.

But we're already spending the kids college tuition, so a new tow rig was outta reach.

How soon do you guys splash at CDA? We may break the X30 outta hibernation early for a few prospective buyer water tests.

Comment

• XC500mod
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Sep 2015

Cool feel is awesome, even as a northerner it gets too hot to step or sit on non cool feel. I couldn’t imagine not having it. Boats interiors with various shades of light gray are not for me. I like some color and for that you really need cool feel.

Dual screens are great. I’m not a tech guy by any means but I wouldn’t go without them.

Resale: you’re buying an x22. When you go to sell it, the potential buyers are going to want dual screens because 90% of other x22s will have them. Cool feel likely won’t be as important especially if your interior is light.

The x22 is an incredible boat. I’m willing to say it’s their best cross over and wake boat. The slalom wave is better than my x10 and the surf wave is as good or better than the x24. Wakeboard is awesome too.

Comment

• moosehead
                            MC Maniac
                            • May 2015

Thanks fellas. Crew is wanting to pull the trigger.

Comment

• John Johnson
                              MC Devotee
                              • Aug 2013

Damn she's sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X