Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 07-29-2018, 02:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft Maristar 230
Angry 2000 MasterCraft 230VRS Maristar w/ Tandem Axle Trailer (needs wiring harness)

For sale = 5k. This boat is currently not in working condition b/c two months ago the starter shorted and melted all the ground wires on the boat including the wiring harness on the engine. After filing a claim with insurance (Progressive) and being denied b/c they say electrical problems are not covered by my policy (I should have let the boat catch fire and burn instead of doing the right thing b/c that WOULD have been covered) and supposedly, repairs would take about 2-3 weeks to completely rewire the boat plus I need to find an engine wire harness with crank position sensors included.

I've been told the wiring harness is close to impossible to find and the rewire cost alone would be around 10k (quote from boat repair). On a positive note, I was told there is a need for the engine, trailer, and possibly other parts on the MasterCraft thread so just getting started here.

This boat has been well taken care of since purchase, has about 350 hrs on the motor, always in storage when not in use, regular maintenance, etc. with no engine problems, EVER! Aftermarket installed Monster Tower with speakers, etc. Feel free to ask questions and thanks for any guidance on what to do.
Attached Images

Last edited by atx2k230Maristar; 12-20-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: adding price
Old 07-29-2018, 07:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
PM sent
Old 07-29-2018, 10:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Wow, that sucks. Nice, perfectly good boat becomes essentially worthless due to minor issue.

How far does the wiring damage go? Is it just the engine wiring, or does it extend over the whole boat? Is the dash wiring destroyed? What engine is in the boat? It'd make a nice winter project to rebuild; the PO trashed mine and I don't have a tower.

I'd be interested in the trailer - mine's on a single-axle galvanized MC trailer at the moment. Galvanized doesn't do me any good (we only ski on fresh water here), and single-axle worries my wife every time we pull 300 miles up to Lake Powell in July at 110F.

Now, let's see if we can help you out. Great Lakes Skipper would be a good place to look for various harnesses. I just replaced the engine in my boat, and the new GM 350 (the equivalent of the Predator (310HP) in yours) came with a crankshaft position sensor that I don't need - it's yours for free if it'll work for you.

Where are you located?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:29 PM
TT Newbie

Pics uploaded.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Wow, that sucks. Nice, perfectly good boat becomes essentially worthless due to minor issue.

How far does the wiring damage go? Is it just the engine wiring, or does it extend over the whole boat? Is the dash wiring destroyed? What engine is in the boat? It'd make a nice winter project to rebuild; the PO trashed mine and I don't have a tower.

I'd be interested in the trailer - mine's on a single-axle galvanized MC trailer at the moment. Galvanized doesn't do me any good (we only ski on fresh water here), and single-axle worries my wife every time we pull 300 miles up to Lake Powell in July at 110F.

Now, let's see if we can help you out. Great Lakes Skipper would be a good place to look for various harnesses. I just replaced the engine in my boat, and the new GM 350 (the equivalent of the Predator (310HP) in yours) came with a crankshaft position sensor that I don't need - it's yours for free if it'll work for you.

Where are you located?
I've been told it extends over the whole boat including parts of the dash wiring but not all of it. Pics are uploaded regarding engine (LTR), etc. Based in Austin, TX.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
10K for a wiring harness is a quote by someone who just doesn't want to do the work. You can pull the existing harness and send it off to be rebuilt if it's that bad, same goes for what's behind the dash. Below is a good spot to start.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/custom/
Old 07-30-2018, 07:21 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
10K for a wiring harness is a quote by someone who just doesn't want to do the work. You can pull the existing harness and send it off to be rebuilt if it's that bad, same goes for what's behind the dash. Below is a good spot to start.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/custom/
Thanks, Shaun. Have you used these guys before?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx2k230Maristar View Post
I can’t speak for Shaun but I have used them a few times for old cars. I told the the year of the car, the crate engine I put in, and the tranny. I thought I needed a custom harness because everything was not stock. But they had a harness in stock for my mismatch of parts. If I remember right, it was around $1,500 and it had almost all of the connectors to be plug and play from headlights to taillights.

Ive also gotten 2 rear wiring kits for other old cars. Plugged into the factory harness near the rear seat and all the ends were perfect lengths for the taillights. I believe those were $400 or so.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx2k230Maristar View Post
I have not personally but had friends use their product before. I personally do not enjoy wiring issues and leave it to the pros. They can make custom harnesses cut to length if necessary and makes reinstallation straight forward.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 XStar
Another company that does custom wire harnesses is Hot Wire.

http://hotwireauto.com/

I have never used them, but they are pretty popular on the Jeep forums I hang out on.